1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPNU Blackouts

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by gbranch, Mar 7, 2005.

1. gbranch

gbranch Legend

Mar 7, 2003
    Has anyone yet figured out the blackout policy on ESPNU on D*?

The Big12 tournament is coming up. I live in Texas, and our local UPN affiliate carries the ESPN+ games, but will not carry any games during UPN primetime. IOW, the Thursday night games will not be shown.

I am considering temporarily adding the Sports Pak to see the Thursday night games on ESPNU, but won't bother if the games that should be showing on our UPN are blacked out.

TIA,
    GSB

2. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I have a feeling that they probably will be blacked out... I'm guessing the states in the Big XII coverage area will be blacked out. Some 2nd round games are on ESPN-2 I think?

3. oz615

oz615 New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    well im in Tennessee and i was blacked out,plus the game wan't on ESPN2 neither

4. shy007

shy007 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2003
    I live in SC and the games were blacked out..... This channel might be a waste is everything is blacked out.....

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I would assume the blackout policy is the same as it is for the other channels, unless they say otherwise... Typically any local ("local" defined loosely in some cases) market game will be blacket out if it is available on a local channel/network.

For instance, I'm in ACC country... and even though ESPN has the tourney in high-def... I can't watch it... I'm watching on my local affiliate, which even though it has the capability ot high-def isn't showing it... instead is showing standard def. Go figure.

6. shy007

shy007 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2003
    I know that policy but the Big XII was not in SC area and the games were still balcked out.... I'm not sure why they did that....