1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet light turns off on router

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Tecmo SB Guy, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1 of 12
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Okay, here's the story, a few weeks ago when I got up in the morning, I noticed the Ethernet light was off on my router which was unusual because it's always stayed on when I turn off my computer (which I do before I go to sleep every night). All the other lights on my router were still on. So I went to turn on my computer and it wouldn't turn on. Best Buy is currently fixing it because I have a service plan with them. They said something is wrong with the motherboard but didn't give me too many specifics.

In the meantime, my friend gave me an old computer that runs Windows '98 which works okay with my DSL connection except it doesn't play any video so I can't watch hulu.com or Netflix Instant Watch. I can browse text and pictures on the web pages which is good for now. Then, a few days ago I noticed the Ethernet light was turning off every time I turned off this computer at night as well. I got a bit worried and breathed a little sigh of relief that I was able to turn on the computer. And the Ethernet light came back on as soon as I did that.

My question is should I worry about the Ethernet light turning off now when I turn off my computer? When before it would always be on. Does the Ethernet light usually stay on when you guys turn off your computer? Is it normal for the light to be on or off when you turn off your computer? And the light turning off now, is this some kind of important sign I should pay attention to or should I not worry about it?

2. Sep 1, 2009 #2 of 12
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    old computer doesn't have a "wake on lan" or "boot from lan".. either of these keep the network up 24/7

3. Sep 1, 2009 #3 of 12
    Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    You sent your pc in to the geek squad? Seriously? You'd better expect it to come back in WORSE shape.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #4 of 12
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Someone still has a computer running WIndos '98?:eek2:

Newer motherboards support ACPI features that allow them to sleep with a small trickle-charge and even be powered up from a shutdown by the LAN, keyboard or mouse. They keep some voltage on certain circuits of the motherboard and that's why the Ethernet light remain illuminated. My guess is that Win98 PC probably has an older motherboard that does not support these features. When you do a shutdown on this PC , the power is completely shut off, so there will be no lights on the Ethernet port.

5. Sep 4, 2009 #5 of 12
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Thanks for the answers guys. :)

Yup, I'm starting to get annoyed with them. I dropped off my computer there on August 15 and they told me it would be about 7 to 10 days. And now almost 3 weeks later they still haven't fixed it yet. I talked to them yesterday and they said it's listed as still being in the shipping process, as in it hasn't even gone to the place that they're supposed to fix it. :mad:

6. Nov 6, 2009 #6 of 12
    Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Okay, I just have to ask the opposite question now. I got my computer back and the ethernet light on my router is always on when I turn the computer off. So don't worry about it correct?

It doesn't drain power from the computer or anything like that right? Because I think it was the power supply that had to be replaced on it.

7. Nov 6, 2009 #7 of 12
    phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    It does use some power, but there is no reason to worry about it killing your power supply. Power supplies just go sometimes, there is nothing you can really do about that.

If letting your computer suck juice even when off bothers you, you can turn off all your extended ethernet features in BIOS.

8. Nov 6, 2009 #8 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I maintain a dozen of 'em at my workplace.

The only real problem with Win98SE (outside of the aforementioned media sites) is the absence of an updated version of Flash.

9. Nov 6, 2009 #9 of 12
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'm curious as to the need / reason to remain on W98 ?

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In my case, we have a software application that won't run reliably on anything higher than Windows Me. Because it was crafted with an tool that Microsoft is trying desperately to destroy all evidence of (Visual FoxPro), porting isn't practical.

The other reason is that it works just fine for what we use it for so there's no compelling reason to spend thousands on upgrades (both hardware and applications software) and training to be rewarded with frequent critical updates and unnecessary peer file sharing complications.

11. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Good old Foxpro!! I made a lot of money (at the time) and grew a business on dBase II/III and Foxpro. Of course, that money's gone!!

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    We're running FoxPro applications on XP machines at the air base where I work.