1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

etivo (HR-250) + tversity/mediashare (HR2x) = MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by 94SupraTT, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    Is anyone running this setup? I think I might give it a whirl.

2. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    explain the exact setup you are talking about please?

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe the HR10-250 can be hacked to provide some networking capability, but I don't think MRV is one of them.

But, we do need to know exactly what you're trying to do.

4. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of using something like streaming video from the TIVO into TVersity then into the HR20 - that's more along the lines of what I thought the OP thought...

In any case, there isn't a way to go the other way yet.

5. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    Sorry. I assumed some people here had hacked Tivos like on tivocommunity.com

eTivo is an app that automatically pulls files off Tivos and converts the to wmv files. So basically I was wondering if anyone was running this setup. Potentially you could run etivo and share the folder via tversity in effect giving you MRV. You would be able to view everything that sits on your Tivo on your HR2x.

Bingo. Although you aren't really streaming from the Tivo. Its video from the Tivo which has been pulled off the Tivo to PC then converted on the PC and streamed from the PC to your HR2x.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    There are a few problems with this approach that I can see.

First, I'm not sure TVersity can "watch a folder", meaning that you can't auto-populate the "sharing" library with the HR10's contents. I could be wrong on this, however.

Second, the conversion to WMV is painfully slow (normally real-time), and will result in degraded image quality because TVersity will have to transcode it back into MPEG-4 for playback on the HR2x, since there is no native WMV support.

Third, you will not be able to use FF, RW, REPLAY or ADVANCE on the HR2x. Only PLAY and PAUSE work with HTTP-streamed video files.

Just my .02. /steve

7. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    I think you are right about tversity not autopopulating. I could probably write a batch process to run "mshare -R" and scedule it to run hourly on my PC which would take care of the autopopulation. The conversion from tivo files to wmv for an average program takes maybe 20mins on my P4 1.7ghz machine. So while you wouldn't be able to watch a program as soon as it was recorded on the Tivo could should be able to an hour or so after it is recorded on the Tivo. Trickplay of course would not be doable. It could be with a Viiv machine I don't know much about that though being that none of my PCs are Viiv capable.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You're probably talking about a 30 minute show using the WMV8 (lower quality) codec? When I convert to WMV9 for my Zune on a dual core 2.66 ghz machine, it takes about 75% of real time. And don't forget, TVersity needs to transcode it again on the way out. /steve

9. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    I didn't realize the HR2x couldn't view WMV. I stream my WMVs from my PC to my HR2x, there is maybe a 5second delay before it starts playing. I didn't realize it was transcoding the video I thought it was streaming it as a WMV. Interesting. Regardless I don't mind waiting 5seconds for my WMVs to start.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. You can see the WMV decode settings in the TVersity set-up menu. Actually I was thinking more about quality loss due to the extra transcode then the processing lag, but hey, if it works for you, go for it! :) /steve

11. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Why would you use wmv, with tytools, you get raw mpegII files, if they are in stereo, they feed right to the HR20 without conversion (AC3 requires coding to TS files, which is lossless.)

12. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    Tytool will not automatically download files from the Tivo like eTivo will. I know all about Tytool I use it exclusive for pulling video off that I am saving to DVD. I want as much automation as possible.

13. Vegas

Vegas Cool Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Been doing this automated, with TySuiteJ for some time now. Works well.
    Never thought about the batch file to refresh tversity. I'll give that a try.

14. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    Reading up on TySuite now. I never knew it had automatic extraction or any of those other features. I thought it was just an alternate to Tytool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.