1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eva Cassidy: when death doesn't get the last word....

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Oct 3, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In the thread on the 2013 Emmy show, I posted a YouTube version of Eva Cassidy singing "Yesterday" as other than the Beatles version, it is the only version the song I enjoy listening to. Eva Cassidy is, perhaps, the only reason I applaud the existence of "American Idol", "The Voice", and other such shows.

Today my sister shared on Facebook a link to the YouTube video of a 2001 piece on Nightline called "The Eva Cassidy Story." IMHO it is about a remarkable singer that almost nobody ever heard of until after her death. It also says something about how the music industry failed talented artists at the end of the 20th Century. Even though it is sad, it is worth watching:

[youtubehd]bXU219b3Zdw[/youtubehd]

2 people like this.
  2. gdn

gdn AllStar

Aug 5, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This is an awesome piece and she had such a great voice. Loved everything about her. I had never heard of her, but saw this story when it originally aired and that night bought ever CD I could find of hers. She left way before her time.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    What a talent! Thanks for sharing this.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I at first ignored it. Now, having watched the video, I, too, want to buy some of her CD's. Such a beautiful young woman, and such a beautiful voice and talent. A singer with her affinity for all types of music comes along all too seldom. Thanks, phrelin, for sharing with us.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    In all my vast and worldly experiences, somehow, I had not ever heard of Ms. Cassidy. What a loss for me...until now. As I write this, I am now listening to her album, "The Best of Eva Cassidy", 20 of her recordings. Eva surely sings with the angels -- her voice was (and still is) a beautiful gift to all who have had the pleasure of hearing her sing.

Phrelin, thanks for the link.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Fields of Gold is another song she covers beautifully.

I look forward to more.