DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Even Tivo is not infallible

3K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Clint Lamor 
#1 ·
Saw this NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/20/technology/20tivo.html

"One of the main selling features of digital video recorders is their ability to record programs without the viewer having to enter start and stop times. It was unclear why certain shows were cut short on the malfunctioning TiVo's. The company's engineers isolated the problem to Series 2 machines (TiVo units integrated into DirecTV receivers were not affected). "

As has been said before, while the R15 gets bashed on TCF, all DVR's have their problems.

#3 ·
I have been in the TCF off and on since this all began and noticed Earl has been taking some shots about R15 vs Tivo and happened to see this and thought people ought to know that there is no such thing as error free. And that software is always evolving or becomes obsolete.

#4 ·
Apparently the box needs to run without being rebooted for several months for this bug to show up. Maybe someday the R15 will be stable enough to see if such a bug exists. :D

#5 ·
walters said:
Apparently the box needs to run without being rebooted for several months for this bug to show up. Maybe someday the R15 will be stable enough to see if such a bug exists. :D
See, forward thinking engineering. I just knew this box had hidden value. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find.:lol:

#6 ·
Wouldn't it be nice if a DirecTV representative showed up here in response to a bug report, passed it on to engineering, publicly posted a temporary fix (rebooting) within a few days, and then reported that the permanent fix had been incorporated into the latest software rollout? That's exactly what happened in this case on the TCF board. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=286209)

#8 ·
step away from the directv koolaid .......

the tivos as of this date are 10,000% more reliable and stable than an r15

this was the case of a bug 1 in how many years compiled with a guide bug

count how many guide / show not recording bugs r15 has

and you will see r15 will record less than the tivo

send the article writer our current r15 and then let him write an article and compare them

#9 ·
ad301 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if a DirecTV representative showed up here in response to a bug report, passed it on to engineering, publicly posted a temporary fix (rebooting) within a few days, and then reported that the permanent fix had been incorporated into the latest software rollout? That's exactly what happened in this case on the TCF board. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=286209)
They are "here"... just not in an official capacity.
They are still trying to work out logistics of particpating in an official capacity.

Till then.... you got me :D I guess

#10 ·
joegrjoe said:
step away from the directv koolaid .......

the tivos as of this date are 10,000% more reliable and stable than an r15

this was the case of a bug 1 in how many years compiled with a guide bug

count how many guide / show not recording bugs r15 has

and you will see r15 will record less than the tivo

send the article write our current r15 and then let him write an article and compare them
How about you step away from the ax and hammer you have pointed at the R15.
The thread was posted to point out that even the beloved TiVo isn't perfect.

And there have been many other cases... this is just the latest... So it is not the first, nor the last issue the TiVo powered units have.

Does that make the R15 better then the TiVo... no... it just means that even though TiVo has a 6 year head start and is the premier DVR builder in the world... even their product has issues.

#13 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
They are "here"... just not in an official capacity.
They are still trying to work out logistics of particpating in an official capacity.

Till then.... you got me :D I guess
why do the feel the need to hide? would directv higher ups be pissed they are posting in a forum such as this ?

or would be the obligatory excuse "if we revealed ourselves.. we would be hounded for requests" a lame excuse

that is what they are for, getting tons of feedback and fixxing problems asap

#14 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
After thinking about it....

Even though we have "added" an R15 hook to it... this belongs more in the TiVo forum.
Nope, doesn't belong here, either. No DirecTV with TiVo combo has this issue.

#15 ·
walters said:
Nope, doesn't belong here, either. No DirecTV with TiVo combo has this issue.
Actually by you saying that... just gave it a home here....

Now it has an official DirecTivo hook in....

:D I love loopholes...

#17 ·
ad301 said:
It's a straw man that gets thrown out here regularly. No one, except perhaps for the most egregious trolls, ever claims that tivos are "perfect". And you seem to be the only one who regularly describes tivos as "beloved".
Oh there are many people who think TiVo is perfect. :) Most people know there is no such things as perfection though. TiVo makes mistakes, at times many of them. They have a very good product though. To be honest I think (well hope) that the R15 will soon become as stable as my TiVos are, but even if it does it still won't be perfect. :)

#18 ·
ad301 said:
It's a straw man that gets thrown out here regularly. No one, except perhaps for the most egregious trolls, ever claims that tivos are "perfect". And you seem to be the only one who regularly describes tivos as "beloved".
I put "beloved" out there to ruffle the feathers.... :D
As based on the posts over at TCF, that is a good term for it (IMHO)... It is loved, almost to a fault.

I don't think either the TiVo or the R15 products are "prefect"
They both have a home in my house... for now.

#19 ·
joegrjoe said:
why do the feel the need to hide? would directv higher ups be pissed they are posting in a forum such as this ?

or would be the obligatory excuse "if we revealed ourselves.. we would be hounded for requests" a lame excuse

that is what they are for, getting tons of feedback and fixxing problems asap
It probably has nothing to do with being "houded" for requests.

If you take a look at this post over on their "own" forum boards
http://forums.directv.com/pe/action...read?rootPostID=10135659&returnExpertiseCode=

This is from one of our past posters here (who was banned from the forum for violating rulles, such as having multiple accounts).
He lists and list and lists features that are important to him.
They are valid requests, but posting in that fashion they get lost and don't get the indepth discussion they deserve.

It probably has to do with "legality" too.

If an OFFICIAL DirecTV response was to come on to a forum board... It could be used all over the place... So with that... they couldn't respond quick enough in a forum enviornment... Companies as big as DirecTV go through Legal departments to make sure what they are saying.. CAN be said.

What if they said on X day they are going to release something.
But it didn't come out to Y.... Everyone jumps all over the CSRs for saying it... could you imagin the level it would at if it was in Typed form....

Either way... they are here and reading what we post.
Just because they don't have a "live" two way conversation with all of us, doesn't mean they don't listen to what say...

Or respond in their own way.

#20 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
It probably has nothing to do with being "houded" for requests.

If you take a look at this post over on their "own" forum boards
http://forums.directv.com/pe/action...read?rootPostID=10135659&returnExpertiseCode=

This is from one of our past posters here (who was banned from the forum for violating rulles, such as having multiple accounts).
He lists and list and lists features that are important to him.
They are valid requests, but posting in that fashion they get lost and don't get the indepth discussion they deserve.

It probably has to do with "legality" too.

If an OFFICIAL DirecTV response was to come on to a forum board... It could be used all over the place... So with that... they couldn't respond quick enough in a forum enviornment... Companies as big as DirecTV go through Legal departments to make sure what they are saying.. CAN be said.

What if they said on X day they are going to release something.
But it didn't come out to Y.... Everyone jumps all over the CSRs for saying it... could you imagin the level it would at if it was in Typed form....

Either way... they are here and reading what we post.
Just because they don't have a "live" two way conversation with all of us, doesn't mean they don't listen to what say...

Or respond in their own way.
read that link, sound interesting, since you say they need in depth discussion and you are a moderator, why not put each up as a sticky and we discuss them ?

If directv put all through legal, what they say, they would not make as many outlandish staements as they do.

#21 ·
We had one large thread... it got out of control..
That that particular poster started to post similar type LIST posts... too many things for one thread, and it quickly got out of control.

So we are taking a different approach....
One aspect at a time, so it can get the time it deserves and we can have a more indepth conversation on it.

And regarding "going" through legal.... that is just my speculation...

Either way...... If they find it prudent to post and particpate in our forums... They are welcome... Until then........ I guess we can only speculate..

#22 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
We had one large thread... it got out of control..
That that particular poster started to post similar type LIST posts... too many things for one thread, and it quickly got out of control.

So we are taking a different approach....
One aspect at a time, so it can get the time it deserves and we can have a more indepth conversation on it.

And regarding "going" through legal.... that is just my speculation...

Either way...... If they find it prudent to post and particpate in our forums... They are welcome... Until then........ I guess we can only speculate..
where is latest in depth feture sticky thread then ?

also for (in my opinion) to have R15(an all future directv dvr's) be better than R10

it MUST have all features that R10 had and many more new ones and be stable and not have to babysit it,

#23 ·
It is at the top of the R15 forum..

Just so long as it doesn't include all the "features" that are considered bad on the unit... I mean... the slow guide, the limit on WishList results, the color of the unit being lost (aka when it goes to B&W for no reason), the please wait for 5 minutes when you do a significant changes to the Season Pass list.... ;)

#24 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
It is at the top of the R15 forum..

Just so long as it doesn't include all the "features" that are considered bad on the unit... I mean... the slow guide, the limit on WishList results, the color of the unit being lost (aka when it goes to B&W for no reason), the please wait for 5 minutes when you do a significant changes to the Season Pass list.... ;)
1. why that face ";) " ?

2. that list is 3 days old

how about new ones ? ...

#25 ·
#1: It is a ;) Wink.... As in... sarcasim, joke, or "this last statement was a restating of the obvious"

#2: We will start a different topic very shortly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.