Even tps on 103ca/cb periodically go to 0

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Cardgame, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Cardgame

Cardgame New Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Gaithersburg...
    Ever since I moved and had my system re-installed a couple months ago I have had the same periodic issue of even transponders on the 103ca and 103cb satellites going to 0, causing all the channels depending on those transponders to pixilate and get a 771 searching for satellite message.

The problem comes and goes every few minutes to few hours, lasting for a few minutes at a time. The problem always happens simultaneously on all 9 receivers across both SWM 16 multiswitches, leading me to believe the problem has to be between the dish and the multiswitches.

The LNB has been replaced which appeared to correct the problem for a couple weeks but then it came back.

Any advice? I'm still within my 90-day installation warranty.

2. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    Since just even transponders (18volt) i would check cabling between multiswitch and dish. Make sure both swm 16's are connected correctly.

I would switch the cables around coming from the dish going into the swm 16 and see if the problem moves to another sat.

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Might the dish be pointing through an opening in some trees? It is possible that it is just a tree branch swaying in the breeze and intermittently blocking line of sight to the 103 satellite.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Adding to mexican-bum's post. There are four cables from the dish to the splitters feeding your SWM16s. Each cable carries signals from a different set of satellites and transponders.One cable carries the 103ca/103cb even transponders; look at one of your SWM16s for the cable connected to the 103/110/119 18v port. Follow the cable back to the splitter. The problem is almost certainly in the cable/connectors between that splitter and the dish, which is why it affects both SWM16s. The connector at one end or the other of that cable could be loose, damaged or corroded. You particularly need to check on the grounding block outside your house, corrosion there is quite common.
    There are other but much less likely possibilities. There could be physical damage to the cable (a staple through the cable for example). It could be a problem at the LNB, but you can rule that out as mexican-bum says by swapping two of the cables from the dish at the splitter - if it's an LNB problem it will stay with the 103 evens, if it's a cable/connector issue it will move to another set of transponders. It could be a problem with the splitter, affecting both output ports.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    That would affect both the odd and even transponders....

6. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    True...too early in the morning...brain not fully functional yet. ;)

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since you have 2 SWM16s, how are those being connected? In parallel using splitters or are them being cascade it?

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Can you post a picture or two so we can get an idea of how things are set up?

9. Cardgame

Cardgame New Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Gaithersburg...
    Here are two pictures. One shows the 4 coax cables coming from the dish to the ground block. The other picture shows those 4 cables going into four 2-way splitters and feeding the two SMW-16s in parallel.

I am ordering another service call from DirecTV since I have a few days left on my 90-day installation warranty. I will try to get the tech to focus on the potential causes mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to get everything perfect in time for football. Five of the 9 receivers are in one spot in my mancave for viewing 5 games at once.

Attached Files:

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Thanks for the pics, that helps clarify things.

Just to double check, using your fingers can you trace the path of each cable from splitter outputs to SWM16 input, to insure that each splitter has both outputs going to the same input on each SWM16? I think you'd probably have worse issues than you do if that wasn't done right, and it wouldn't manifest the same way on both SWM16s, but it can't hurt to verify this since it will only take a couple minutes.

Next, try swapping the two "103/110/119" lines on both SWM16s. That is, on each SWM16, take the coax connected to the port marked 18v 22 KHz and switch it with the one marked 13v 22 KHz. If your problem moves (now you have odd tps on 103ca/cb going to 0) you'll have isolated it to a specific splitter, or the coax/connectors feeding it. If the problem remains the same, you've ruled out all the splitters, cables and connectors.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I bet the splitter feeding this polarity is no good. I would change the splitters and use a Zinwell 6x8 instead to feed both switches

Wow, what a mess!

12. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    I agree, that or just have one feed the other

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, you never want to cascade from SWM16 to another. Too much signal loss

14. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    I have a swm 8 cascaded off a swm 16 without any problems but then again just because it works fine for me doesn't mean it's the ideal way to do it.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    We agree on that. just for comparison, cascading switches you lose as much as having a 100 ft cable run between them.

16. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    Ya my run from dish to switches is probably only 12ft...

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would you want to use a 6x8 instead of splitters? A multiswitch is more likely to fail than a splitter, which is a purely passive device.

18. mexican-bum

Feb 25, 2006
    It's cleaner and makes troubleshooting much easier if it does ever fail. Plus it's gives the lnb cleaner constant voltage from 1 device instead of multiple sources. Right now as setup each swm is sending voltage to the lnb, if just one cable isn't connected correctly it screws everything up.

As this guy is finding out troubleshooting a problem isn't as easy

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I can tell you from experience that splitters use to parallel switches fail WAY MORE frequently than a 6X8 does. I have replaced many, many , many splitters under these circumstances but yet I have replaced very few 6x8 for complete failure. The MAIN reason for 6x8 failures is water migration

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That would be a secondary reason. Also ease of installation