1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone recieving the Charleston Wva Locals (Please Read)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brykc14, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    I just Called WHCP WB 30 again to see if they had a time frame on when they will be up on Directv. They said they were still working on it but that the processed had slowed down because it seemed the interest in it had died down. They werent recieving as many call or emails about it. So I think everyone need to call or Email them so they will see that we still are VERY interested in getting it up and running.

Here is the link for the Email Form

http://www.whcp-tv.com/comment.shtml

And the Phone number is (740) 353-3391
    if you call ask to speak with

Butch Wilkison he is the General Man. or
    Eric Cox he is the Chief Technical Officer

Maybe with some feed back from us we can get this on Directv sooner

2. Clueless

Clueless Guest

Done.

It was my understanding it was supposed to be complete by this fall. The only thing I watch is Enterprise, but I do enjoy that.

3. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Yes when I first talked to them when the locals first came up thats what they said was the fall. But now they said they had no time frame now because interest in it from customers had died down. So Thats why I thought if we all emailed or called that they would get it on sooner since it seems they are doing it based on how many people they hear from.

4. redfishhunter

redfishhunter Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Done.
    It was also to my understanding it was in the fall.

5. Sep 6, 2004 #5 of 35
    brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Just wanted to remind everyone in The Charleston Viewing Area to keep the calls and emails going. I dont know about yall but I want WB and UPN. Ive been waiting years on locals so I could get those 2 channels and now that the locals are here, its driving me crazy that I still dont have them. So lets keep it up and let them see that we are still very interested in recieving WHCP.

6. Sep 6, 2004 #6 of 35
    stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    hey guys, I live in ohio but have a second home in creston west virginia, just lettin you all know I sent a letter in as email for them to add upn/wb as west virginia is my service addy, thanks all for the update keep em coming let me know how this is going!

7. Sep 6, 2004 #7 of 35
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    BTW, I got a call from DirecTV customer no-service about it. The Reader's Digest version of their side: Drop Dead.

Will call WHCP, but really I don't think WHCP has the money to spend to acomplish what is needed.

8. Sep 6, 2004 #8 of 35
    brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    What I cant understand is why Dish has had WHCP since day one of Charleston Locals but not Directv. What is the difference. How can they get it up for them so easily.

9. Sep 6, 2004 #9 of 35
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    According the WHCP (who I believe), with 2 weeks notice, DirecTV placed the local receive facility at the old WVAH studio in Hurricane. Which is about the lowest point in the entire market and an absolute dead zone for rimshot WHCP and its two low power repeaters. DISH placed its LRF at WSAZ in Huntington, where all signals can be easily received. Thus DirecTV has only the "basic 5" channels, while DISH has WHCP, and the suplemental KY and OH PBS stations.

DirecTV customer no-service specifically lied to me last February when it stated it would have "all" of the local channels and that it had "deals" with all of them (it did not have a deal with WOWK until the day of launch).

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    That sucks for DirecTv subs. I am glad that I have Dish. WB is one of my favorite channels.

11. blik

blik New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I have no idea who said those things... but the DirecTV project was not forgotten and interest never really died down.

Unfortunately, the final outcome is dependant upon another project, but all the equipment needed for implementation is quite ready. It did take a month to get a custom RF filter, but another problem cropped up (at least for testing purposes) DirecTV should be in first quarter 2005. YES it was pushed back from its target fall date, but unfortunately there are many things outside of my control.

I shouldn't make up my own titles... people might actually quote them some day.

While this thread is a bit dated, at least it puts a bit of a bright cap on the final forum.

Do not call asking to speak with Eric.... always talk to Butch or Chuck... I'm not much on being a PR person.

12. blik

blik New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Completely false...

The DirecTV decision is simply based on increasing our viewership share and of course... I have DirectTV.

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Its good to hear that you guys are still working on it. Its a shame that DirecTV treats its TV stations and its customers in this way. But typical.

14. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    well i let them know i wanted my wb. here is the reply i got from whcp:

Thank you for your email! The long and short of your questions is as
    follows...

No you cannot get us on your Direct TV right now...Yes, you will be able to
    get us in the future...Yes, it is due to a problem with Direct TV...

We are hoping to be on Direct TV sometime in 1st Qtr 2005 so hopefully
    everything will work out and you will get to watch us as the people on Dish
    watch us now. Thanks again!!

Chuck Jones
    GSM, WHCP-TV

here is the reply i got from directv:

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry, but a local WB affiliate is not available in the Charleston-Huntington, WV area, even though we do carry most other local channels. If your city doesn't have a local affiliate of a particular network (such as WB, UPN or CBS), even if you are able to get an over-the-air signal from a nearby city, we can't include that network in your local channel package (not as a a-la-carte also). In addition, some local stations broadcast their signal at low power or are unable to deliver a good quality signal to us.

As new local TV stations start service, provide a higher power signal, find a way to get us their signal, or become affiliated with a network, we have a process to update our local channel offerings. We hope to continue expanding our local channel offerings in the coming months.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our services.

Sincerely,

Ankit K
    DIRECTV Customer Service

well, maybe whcp & directv will get things worked out sometime in the next 2-3 months.

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    That is, of course, an old fashioned bare faced lie by DirecTV. Really its just a pat answer from the Big Book of Why the Customer is Always Wrong, given without any thought to the situation.

WHCP is a H-C area station, and is not a low power station.

The simple truth is that, given two years to sit around while the gang that couldn't shoot straight delayed and delayed 7S, DirecTV did NOTHING to establish a LRF and did NOTHING to reach contractural agreements with the four major stations.

With but two weeks to go it finally established a LRF, in the wrong place, such that WHCP could not easily provide a signal. Then it lied about it, and now it gives out pat answers that do not apply to the situation. And it did not even have CBS signed up until the day of launch.

I hope WHCP gets a signal to DirecTV and forces their way onto the system anyway. Use up all the bandwidth you can.

16. longbirdieputt

longbirdieputt Cool Member

Jul 30, 2004
    I am building a house in Hurricane and will be moving there in May. I am curious what of the local affiliates are up and running in Hd and are the ones that arent supposed to be up soon. How good does the signal come in from your ota antennas.

Thanks

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Welcome to the market. You will find that WSAZ, the NBC affiliate dominates every non-network time segment. Its 6 and 11 news ratings are twice that of the other 3 stations, COMBINED.

In this market, 3, 13, and 33 antennas are located about 20 miles away on the east side of Huntington, while 8 and 11 are in Scott Depot.

Anyway, here in Putnam County:

WSAZ - NBC - 3 : up and running at full power in HD. However it only broadcasts from 7 in the evening through the end of Leno on weekdays, varrious times on weekends based on what sports are on NBC.

WCHS - ABC - 8: runs a flea power placeholder with a SD simulcast. Has no plans to change that until forced to.

WVAH - Fox - 11: Had a tower colapse two years ago. Has a waiver from the FCC due to that. Has no HD signal. Has no plans to have one until forced.

WOWK - CBS - 13: Has a half-power placeholder with a SD simulcast. I took the antenna that received it down because it was not worth it. No plans to change until forced.

WPBY - PBS - 33: Uses its DTV signal for 3 signals in SD. One is a simulcast of the regular feed, one is the PBS Kids channel and one is PBSU.

WLPX - Pax - 29: Uses its DTV signal for 4 signals. Pax, Pax PT feed, religious music videos, all-religion channel.

WKAS - PBS - 25 in Ashland, KY is also up and running, using its signal for three PBS signals like WPBY, but I cannot receive it unless the weather is perfect.

18. longbirdieputt

Jul 30, 2004
    thanks for the info dont seem to positive in the way of ota locals are you able to get waivers to get the east hd feeds from directtv or is that not possible in this market

19. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The ABC and Fox stations are co-owned (illegally) by Sinclair. That company will not grant waivers to anyone anywhere period. I am not an expert on the HD aspects of the new law, but I suppose that since the Fox station is not broadcasting at all, winning a signal test would not be too difficult.

The CBS station can be talked into a waiver. You don't need one for NBC.

20. longbirdieputt

Jul 30, 2004
    k good nbc cbs would be great but would love fox for next years football

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.