1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

everything keeps recording again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by annoyed, Apr 16, 2015.

1. annoyed

annoyed New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi. I just got the Genie last week (had some other directv HD-DVR before). We added all our shows again, record "first run". Well it recorded entire seasons of each show, either from live TV or from VOD. That's fine, how would it know what we already watched? But when we delete shows, it records them again.

I called directv and the guy had never heard of that, and didn't sound like he had used any receiver much.

For every show except one of them, the show is in the series manager twice. For each show it says the show name and then "series 4" or whatever season number on the right hand side. Then on the next line it has the same show name and "all channels" on the right.

We added Nurse Jackie a couple days before the season premiere. We watched the recording, then deleted the episode. It came on again later that night and recorded again. In the ToDo list you can see shows that are scheduled to record that we have already deleted from the recordings list.

The only show that is just listed once in the series manager, it is set to record "all" instead of "first run" (not sure why). That one shows the actual channel number on the right hand side. Also, for the ones listed twice in series manager, if you change it to "all" it changes that setting for both of them. Weird.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks!

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Not totally, but I suggest you delete the problematic shows from the Series Manager, then go to the Guide, and select the show(s) you want and set it up from there.

Please post back your results, and good luck!

3. annoyed

annoyed New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Well that looks normal, recording a series from the guide. For all the other shows we did menu->search and browse->smart search. I guess I can try to find all the shows in the guide and do it that way. What a pain though.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's a bug in the Genie software. Selecting recordings from the Guide should work properly.

5. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    You can search on the DTV app or online and schedule the series that way. It searches the guide and doesn't have the issues that the other search does.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Really? Sorry. But you don't have to schedule everything at once, and once it's done, you're in like Flynn.

7. annoyed

annoyed New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    ooh I will try that thanks!

8. Nov 2, 2018 #8 of 25
    SluvsK

SluvsK New Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Anyone ever solve this issue? It does this to all of our families 88 shows and I'm over it. Getting ready to pull the plug on DirecTV altogether since the AT&T merger. Awful customer service, and really tired of losing random episodes but having previous seasons auto record taking up dvr space. Thx!

9. Nov 3, 2018 #9 of 25
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How do you record these shows? Do you use the Guide method?

Rich

10. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    My HR44 has started to do this. Some of them are on demand and some are not. Last night it recorded several shows from "My Lottery Dream Home" via On Demand and several shows from "Chesapeake Shores" the regular way.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't record many programs anymore. I do record The Late Show on CBS every weekday. I do that on a two HR24s and on my 44 I have started to see on demand recordings of that show every day on the 44. Is that what we're talking about?

Rich

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    RR: You really should state exactly how you set your recordings...

13. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I schedule 99% of my shows by using the guide. There are a few times that I would use On Demand to catch something that I missed. These shows that record again have already been watched and then they pop up again. Everything that is being recorded are to be first runs only.

14. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Just started happening for me.
    Suddenly started recording Law & Order SVU on USA.
    I'm on 0x1145.
    My recordings are set up in various ways. Some via search and record, some via the guide, and some via the app.

15. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    The "My Lottery Dream Home" has recorded five previously recorded and watched shows since I posted the previous post.

16. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    About a year ago I recorded a bunch of episodes of 'Life Below Zero' which airs on Discovery. Once I watched and deleted them it keeps downloading the whole season time after time after time. I think Discovery has a way of keeping their shows listed as new in the guide even though they are not new.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Wouldn't deleting the entry in the Series Manager do the trick?

b4pjoe likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see any way to do that. I set the 44 to record The Late Show. I get that every night at 11:00, then I get on-demand episodes of what I just recorded some time later. I want to see a part of that program, if I delete the series in the SM it would stop the on-demand episodes but I'd lose what I want to see.

I don't have any on-demand programs set to record, I never use the on-demand function.

Rich

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I was speaking only to b4p's situation where he's already watched the series.

20. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    It did for me. I moved the show I deleted off the HR44 to my HR24.