1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exede - Viasat's new satellite internet service

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mar 8, 2012 #1 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We received in the mail today a card offering the new exede satellite internet service from Viasat:

[​IMG]

This is a new approach to satellite internet for the home by a company that has been doing commercial stuff for years. They bought WildBlue to have access to a retail distribution operation, but this is new in terms of satellite technology. If you need a service like this you might want to check out their web site which indicates this:

[​IMG]

There are data caps but most who have been stuck with a dial up or nothing can live with the lower cap if you don't plan on much streaming. Like all satellite internet, there will be latency (when you click on something, time passes while the data stream goes up to the satellite and down to their ground station and then the data stream back to you makes the same trip). But it is much faster than dial up.

To some who have access to DSL, cable, and other competition, the cost will seem high. But here in a rural area where we have no DSL and just lucky access to cable, my Comcast internet service is higher than the low tier.

In January we had a thread based on a Dish news release indicating that they were going to bundle it. In that thread I noted:
    I still get no indication of a bundle with Dish when I go to the Dish web site.

2. Mar 8, 2012 #2 of 10
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    7.5Gb is about 250Mb per day. That won't get you very far.

I've burned about 300 Mb so far today just reading boards and news websites and some weather radar. No videos, no downloads or transfers of files or programs.

And I was offline for a few hours this morning due to a power outage.

3. Mar 8, 2012 #3 of 10
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    This service is really fast compared to the old wildblue service and also much faster than hughesnet.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #4 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We use about 19GB per month which is about 630 Mb a day. But obviously I too am online a lot, though I don't stream much. My wife isn't on as much as I am, but streams more short videos. If we had to shift to this, we'd need at least the 15GB plan at $79.99. (Our Comcast is $62.95 a month.)

At one time we were contemplating retirement in a location off grid where dial up was the only choice (and I'm pretty sure there's no 3G in that location). So this would seem like a great improvement.

5. Mar 8, 2012 #5 of 10
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'd still like to have something for a backup service. Twice in the last week, I've been offline due to extended power failures. The CO has backup power, but the DSLAM (just a metal box attached to a pole 3 miles from the CO) does not. Power goes out, DSL goes down.

My generator won't help with that.

When I had Starband, as long as I got power to the modem from the generator, I was fine although I had no signal in storms due to heavy clouds.

If we get another ice storm or something else that knocks power out for several days, I don't have a way to get on-line.

I'm not sure I have sufficient cell service to feed a router and do normal browsing.

Satellite would be great for that, but they don't offer a stand-by option with charges applying ONLY for the days you use it.

6. Mar 8, 2012 #6 of 10
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    If anyone is seriously considering one of these systems, send me a PM. I can get you more information.

7. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    If you bundle with Dish, you get a $5.00 mo. discount. You also get an increased Data usage cap of 10Gb on the $49.99 plan.

8. Apr 6, 2012 #8 of 10
    aardvark17

aardvark17 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    too bad users of the exede service don't comment. mostly everywhere i look for info its if/should or shouda/woulda/coulda or may and/can. i have been with wildblue since the beginning, migrating from direcpc two way. hughes net will never get my business, you need a download manager for big downloads. wildblue doesn't care how much you download as long as you keep within your monthly cap.

one problem i see with exede is the 12mb speed is limited to west coast and east of the mississippi river. i live in the northwest and can only get the 5mb version (for the same plan prices). the second problem is lease over ownership of the equipment. third migrating to exede required a service contract (2 years). also dish is trying to hone in on the deal with bundling. to our household all tv service providers are ripping us off with the programing they provide. we were/are hoping the speed factor with exede will allow us to get rid of television and allow us to pick the programs/movies we care to watch, not what is thrown at us. please if you are using excede come out and tell us about the equipment and the service.

9. Apr 6, 2012 #9 of 10
    aardvark17

aardvark17 New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    if you are using excede would you care to elaborate on your statement? are you in the 5mb region or the 12mb region for service? is there any difference in modem hookup over wildblue? for instance can the modem plug right into hdmi on your monitor or tv screen? any lag time watching video? can one watch video during peak hours without having to load the buffer first?

any chance you send your incoming signal out via homeplug to your devices? if so i would like to know how is functioning for you. asking because i rerouted my WB modem to the basment and sent it out via homeplugs to my acess points.

thanks for any assistance you can provide!

10. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    I am a certified Excede/Wildblue installer, put in many of these systems. Wildblue tops out at 1.5m download, while Excede in my market is good for 12m. It is not built for, nor should it ever be considered as an option for urban/suburban areas. Latency is an issue as mentioned, as well as the free access policy (FAP) which limits bandwidth per month. The dish itself is quite different, one solid copper RG6 cable connects the tria to the modem, which has an ethernet out for a single computer or router connection.
    Streaming video is super fast, accounting for that bit of latency upon opening. The modem itself is identical to the SB1 (Wildblue), but has only one coax input and the status lights operate differently. I haven't noticed any lag at peak hours but again I do not have the service myself I just install it.