1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exit button behavior changing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dmcdougald, Sep 11, 2009.

1. dmcdougald

dmcdougald Cool Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Until a few months ago, the Exit button would always stop and exit a playback if there were no banners up. Then about a 2 months ago the behavior changed and Exit would no longer stop a playback. At first this annoyed me, but then I really started liking it because you couldn't accidently stop a playback by trying to clear banners. Then about 3 weeks ago it reverted to the original behavior. Exit terminating a playback never bothered me before, but now that I've had it the other way it really ticks me off. Is there a way to toggle the way the Exit button functions.

I have an HR-700 with 0x312.

Thanks

2. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    Exit has always sent me back to the list or live TV in all the versions I've ever used IIRC.

3. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    One could always wish.
    I do not like the EXIT button stopping my playback. I have a STOP button just for that use. Many times, due to key bounce mostly, I've stopped a playback while trying to clear banners, etc.

If the EXIT button functionality to stop a playback is going to stay, then why do I have a STOP button on my remote? Make STOP a direct link to my "To Do" list then :D

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I've never seen EXIT key NOT throw me out of playback to live TV as described in the OP, and believe me, I've played with a LOT of software versions and intensely dislike how EXIT behaves during playback from the Playlist.

See my signature for a link to a very old discussion on the EXIT key ... that's how much and for how long this has bothered me.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just happened to me a week or so ago on my 23. The Exit button just stopped working. First time I've seen that happen. Caused me to dump the 23. After all the other problems I had with it, that was the last straw.

Rich

6. Oogie Pringle

Oogie Pringle Cool Member

May 24, 2008
    Thanks for posting this. Just this week mine reverted to this behavior (same receiver and version as you) and thought I was loosing my mind.

I still may be, but at least I know someone else as seen it as well.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The exit has always stopped and exited playback for me. I use it that way every day, so I'd notice if it stopped doing that.

8. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    Actually Exit will clear the graphic if there is one on-screen, and if there isn't then it exits playback. This is a problem when I'm watching golf (e.g.) and am constantly ffing thru putts, etc, but when I return to Play, and I want to clear the status bar right away to clear the screen, I often exit playback in error.

I think Huskie hit on the actual problem -- key bounce, or button sticking. Is it just me, or does the key bounce gain or lose sensitivity with each new software version?

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It always worked well for me too and I use it constantly. When it stopped working on the 23 I was amazed. Sat here clicking the button and nothing happened. Tried it on different recordings, tried it with graphics up, tried it with the progress bar, dead as a door nail. And it wasn't the remote which is working perfectly with the 23's replacement.

Rich