1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expandability options to more than 8 tuners with an SWM LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slapshot1959, Sep 13, 2009.

1. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Directv did an install for a friend and used one wire from the swm lnb to a 1x8 splitter and then 4 lines to her 4 HR21 dvr's.
    Is it possible to expand this to yet another dvr? Either by splitting that one line from the dish to a second swm? Doesn't seem possible from everything I've read here.

I'm assuming that lnb would have to be changed to the non swm lnb which I could then take the 4 lines to a 6x8 multiswitch(giving me access to more tuners) and then on to a swm?
    I have an extra multiswitch and swm laying around and all I'd need is the lnb and run a couple more wires (easier said than done) if that's the case.

That's the configuration I have at my house.

She's in a rental house so options were limited using the existing wiring,otherwise I'd of had them install a nonswm lnb. It was a movers installation as well.

I guess a lot of people could use the swm16,hope they release it soon.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There aren't SWM options for more than 8 tuners at this time.

A single WB68 would also serve up to 8 tuners (with a whole lot more cable).

Search here for WB616 and you should find numerous discussions of the 16 tuner switch as well as discussions about using WB68s in parallel.

In any event, you'll need a "legacy" LNB assembly and outboard switchgear.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You could use two or more SWM8s, fed with splitters.

4. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    My goal would be to only run a couple more lines to one room and not to each and every room.

5. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Split off the swm lnb?

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No can do unless you use parallel two multiswitches off of a legacy LNB as bobnielsen suggests.

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You can't split off the SWM LNB to get more than eight tuners. Eight is the limit. As several people have posted, to get more than eight tuners you have to replace the SWM LNB with a standard SL5 (or SL3) and then use multiswitches. You can either use multiple WB68s, which will require two cables to a DVR, or you can buy multiple SWM8 multiswitches, which use only one output cable like your SWM LNB. In both cases you drive the multiswitches from wide-band power-passing splitters in the four lines from the dish.

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    the op says swm lnb.
    8 tuners is the max unless a different lnb is used or second dish placed.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct. The tuner support is maxxed out at 8 in that setup.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, an aggregate of eight tuners is the maximum that can be accommodated with the SWiMLNB at this time. Even the forthcoming SWM-16 is to be the module type. A SWiMLNB-16 is naturally expected to follow but is only speculation so far.

You are going to need a non-SWiM LNB with the traditional four main lines running from the dish to the SWM-8 module and WB68 you mentioned preferably in parallel through power-pass LNB splitters.

And good luck with your friend's landlord agreeing to the necessary increase in cable runs. :rolleyes:

11. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Ok,that seems to be the consensus here.

Actually I'm not worried about the landlord,been pretty accommodating. I just hate having to climb up in the attic and try to fish some wires down to thankfully only one room (no basement).

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Technically this is possible, but you must still stay at the SWMLnb limit of 8 tuners. In other words to add an additional DVR she would need to configure the new box and one of the four currently installed boxes as single tuner.

If she's looking for full DVR functionality this probably wouldn't be an option, but I thought I'd post this additional scenario in case it would be feasible for her...

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I can't remember for sure, but thought I had seen some people mounting swm-8 in enclosure right at dish.
    not saying its good or bad idea, just saying it might help with the cable run issue you spoke of.
    2 swm-8 mounted there would mean you'd only need to run 1 extra line inside to another splitter.

14. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    This may be all that's needed actually. I'm assuming then I'd then only have to run one new line?
    Satellite splitter won't work on the existing line?

15. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    Not sure I'm following this. Off the swm lnb?
    How would that be connected then?

16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes, you can run a single home-run from the 1X8 to the new receiver location or use a splitter downstream on a pre-wired coax if that is more convenient for you.

SWM lines can be split and split again if that answers your question, just make sure to use good SWS splitters.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Wouldn't work off a SWMLnb. The setup would be standard LNB to 4 wideband splitters to 2 SWM8's (in parallel.) One line from each SWM8 would then enter the house in that scenario giving you 8 tuners on each coax.

The hardware for this setup would cost roughly $150+ and put you in DIY territory as D* does not support SWM8's in residential environments.

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    as dsw2112 said, using standard au9s lnb. the swm lnb cannot be expanded period.
    I'm running au9s to splitters (4) to swm-8 and wb616 used for legacy application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DirecTv-SlimLin...m3a52c5debe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_975

I actually bought spare few months ago for $ 20 with free shipping but this was just first one I saw.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

In other words with this method you need to only run two lines from the SWM modules through the point of entrance into the residence instead of all four main coax lines from the dish by mounting two SWM-8 modules outside and as close to the dish as possible (though I would prefer a location under an eave if available) and simply make a much shorter four coax run from the dish to the splitters feeding the SWMs

Of course make sure that you have a PI inserted somewhere inside for each of the two output lines from the SWMs for power.

20. slapshot1959

slapshot1959 Legend

Jan 24, 2006
    OK this may be the easiest route then,though only one tuner each.
    Like I said,it's a rental house for a year or so and don't want to get too involved/costly.