1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Hitachi 2T drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnTSmith, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1 of 23
    JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Anyone have experience with the Hitachi 2T drive as eSATA with the HD DVR?

Can't post a link, but is Newegg Item=N82E16822145276

2. Dec 9, 2009 #2 of 23
    MIMOTech

MIMOTech Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    I don't have the 2TB drive, but have been running a Hitachi 1TB for about 3 years now and it functions very well. I have WD 2TB drives in my computer and so far am very happy with them also. The WD are Green drives and use very low amount of power and are very quiet. I use them for video editing and they are arranged in a Raid 1. But I have been happy with the Hitachi, and would expect the 2TB to work as well.

3. Dec 9, 2009 #3 of 23
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't recommend at all the 'Deskstar' line disks - too much troubles encountered in IT with it.

But other Hitachi HDD line - CinemaStar seems much better and designed for DVR specifically.

4. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Hmm... I've read that "green" drives are not suitable for standalone (not raid) use for video editing due to not enough throughput, but I guess in a raid they would be OK

I'll have to do some more reading/searching to see if I can find comments on using a green drive for Tivo recording

I will also check into the CinemaStar drives

Thanks for the comments

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Don't confuse video editing with media streaming and capturing of transport streams, these are 2 entirely different animals. Video editing is when you are editing raw footage, recompiling after cutting out sections etc...anyone serious about that type of thing uses the 10Krpm drives in fancy RAID arrays.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Some using 15K RPM in RAID-10 ;).

7. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    I do hobbyist video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 - with SD (Standard Definition) video I do just fine with a 7200 Rpm drive and no raid

If I ever decide to go to HD video, I would have to set up a raid system

I do understand that ONLY saving the pre-encoded DirecTV data stream is likely going to put less stress on the drive's throughput capabilities

Right now I have time to research before I make a buying decision, since I am in the early stages of deciding to add HD to my DirecTV setup... which is mostly because my wife is interested in their On Demand feature, which only works (as far as I can tell) with their HD DVR

Anyway, lots more to Google... thanks for the ideas

8. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The Deskstar line had problems in, like, 2001 when it was made by IBM. Really bad problems. Since then, Hitachi took it over and there have been few if any reports since then. One would think that Hitachi has taken extreme efforts to fix the problem. I've no problem with my 2TB drive in my PC.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    mine is 500gb version so may not be pertinent, but I have beat the thing over last year with no issues.
    not in dvr though, but in a high read/write usage.

10. AresROC

AresROC Cool Member

Sep 28, 2007
    We run exclusively Hitachi 1TB & 2TB Deskstars in our vmware servers. They run great especially the 2TB 7200rpm version, benchmarked well over 100MB/s avg throughput.

However they do run very hot and proper cooling is REQUIRED!

11. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    >they do run very hot

Thanks... I've decided on the WD model, once I found out that a green drive is OK to use, since my equipment is in a closed cabinet that my designer wife mandated for the theater room (has a fan attached to a thermostat to blow warm air out some vent holes I drilled, but still not the same as sitting out in the open)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

12. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    JTS - That's an internal drive - you sure you want that one?

13. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
  14. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have experience with the Antec MX-1 case and know it works. Be certain others have used the Thermaltake prior to buying it.

Here's a thread for you:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029&highlight=thermaltake

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    As pointed recently, the Antec MX-1 case has a chip with locked 150 Gbps speed (SATA-I) and this factor is beneficial for BCM7038 inside of DVRs because no negotiation involved with latest HDD what usually boot at 300 Gbps.

16. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    I couldn't find the Antec in stock when I wanted to order, and read reviews on the Thermaltake that mentioned DirecTV... so I ordered one

If it does NOT work, I will report back

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Try to load it hard - make back to back recording overnight, see if it will sustain.

18. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
  19. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I just put a Hitachi Deskstar 2TB on an HR21 here and so far it's doing just fine. It's in an Antec MX-1 case. Had some problems with the Seagate and the Samsung F2 that I tried previously. I guess time will tell. Those same exact two previous drives are now working fine in a PC, but suffered corruption on the HR21.

Green drives should work fine on a DirecTV system. There's no issue with auto-sleep modes because in a D* setup they are always being written to, thus no idle time happens that might trigger the sleep mode. (Some people that have tried to use green drives (and others) on Dish DVRs have had problems, because they work differently, frequently idling the external drive for long periods, so they go to sleep, and often don't wake up.)

2TB is a lot of recording space. Just always keep one thing in mind. If that D* DVR dies and you have to replace it, you will lose forever most if not all of your recordings, because they are tied to that one specific DVR. If this possibility really really bothers you, about the only way to protect yourself is to have two separate DVRs, both with the same series links, etc. :eek2:

That, or just quit watching so much TV! :lol:

Keith

20. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    "2TB is a lot of recording space. Just always keep one thing in mind. If that D* DVR dies and you have to replace it, you will lose forever most if not all of your recordings"

True... and if that happens, it happens

In the meanwhile, I will have 500+ hours of HD programming space... once we actually HAVE HiDef programming, I think we will USE it more than SD, so I wanted the maximum space possible

During the summer my wife "allows" me to work with her on her constant landscaping, so we don't make it upstairs very often to watch a movie

During the winter is when we catch up on movie watching