1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Off Air Install with D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by convem24, Feb 22, 2009.

1. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Let me make a long story very short. I was asked to relocate to a DMA where D* doesn't have any local channels (a very small DMA). I did find out that they do offer an off air antenna install for $100 (not too unreasonable). I have 2 - HR21s, R22 and R15. D* charges $100 for two additional receivers to be converted to off air capable. I am going to see if D* will credit me or give me equivilent programming discounts for the $200 ($100 for off air antenna and $100 for the upgraded receivers). I have never taken a rentention off in 4 years and I auto pay every month. My question if not really about the off air but does any one have expierience with D* installing off air antenna in non-local in local markets (basically markets where D* does not offer locals). I haven't dealt with off air for many years but I have no other real choice and I won't sign up with Dish since they are missing the CBS affiliate here anyway and the local cable company is very experensive for what I want (plus I already have 4 dvrs anyway). Any assistance with off air installs done by D* would be appreciated. Also to clarify I have another small issue, the house I live in is brick and roof is metal (I do have a patio area where that part of the exterior is an actual dry wall and two dish network dishes are already there, so I might be ok there, but coax is going to be interesting). Thanks in advance!

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The HR21 and R22 can use the AM21 digital tuner but the R15 can't tune OTA, at $50 each your looking at another $150 plus the antenna fees. Unless you would get hit with ETF you might want to reconsider DISH and hope they settle with CBS.

3. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    All he would need for the R15 is get a digital converter box... Wally World has them for about $40 bucks... thats what we did at my parents house. :)

4. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I am not interested in Dish because of two things, first NFL Sunday Ticket, and MLB extra innings. Also I have 4 DVR currently, cannot get a deal from Dish for 4 dedicated DVRs. I have a need to tennants to have their own DVR along with myself.

On the other issue DIRECTV is offer an off air antenna installed in all rooms with compatible DVRs for $100 (I am doing a movers connection also) and $50 per receiver DVR to be upgraded to HR20s. I am going to have the R22 and R15 upgraded that way. The HR21s I am going to have the CSR order two AM21s so I don't have to give up my content on the two HD-DVRs. I care less about the two standard definition DVRs. My bigger question does anyone have experience with type of installation? Thanks!

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    While DirecTV offers these installs, very, very few are done. In my area, the antenna was a small 2-bay UHF antenna. The standard DirecTV install means using a mast/foot from a DirecTV dish and putting the antenna on that, and hooking up 2 TVs max. Anything beyond that was custom. When I did them, if there was a suitable place on the house, I'd use a 10' piece of 1" EMT as a mast, to get more elevation.

There's no way for me to know what other areas do, or what type of antennas they install.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll get the best OTA antenna advice, and information on local off-air antenna installers, from the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com. Find the thread for your nearest city.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Here's the antenna that they will most likely install.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=TD-DB2

It's an ok UHF antenna, also picks up some VHF.

But, IMHO, you'd be much better off getting credits from DirecTv for a real antenna installation by someone that knows antennas.

It may vary by HSP to HSP, but for us, if we install it and we can only get one station, then it's "done". They don't really make any guarentees on the reception.

8. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I have a buddy who got installed last weekend that lives in the DMA I am now in, it might be easier to check out his setup. They have some decent antennas that the HSP installs. But I am concerned with directionality of my installation. I will check out his installation to see what I will get. BTW my buddy gets all the major local affiliates which is a good sign. Thanks Robert!