Extended guide data not updating... other than locals this time?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by CenturyBreak, Jul 18, 2019.

1. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Hi all.

Well, this sort of thing happens every couple/few years, but it's a bit different... and longer lasting... this time.

Anyone else notice that there have been no extended guide data updates since Monday, other than for locals?

Normally, extended guide data starts updating noon-ish Eastern time, with data up to just shy of 13 days out. The process is usually complete by 8pm Eastern each day, so I'll see full (or nearly so) guide data including prime time of the 12th day, up to 7:30pm EDT of the 13th day out.

On Monday, we saw the usual updates, picking up guide info for the evening of Saturday the 27th through early evening (7:30pm EDT) of Sunday the 28th.

On Tuesday, we only saw updates for our local channels and a very few others in the 200s, 300s, 500s and 600s, in this case up to 7:30 EDT of Monday the 29th.

Yesterday and today (so far) we've only seen updates of local channels filling in prime time of Monday the 29th through early evening of the 30th yesterday, and starting to fill in the following day with today's data... and nothing at all for the 100s and up.

So... while we'd expect to see actual data, or at least "Title not available" up to late afternoon/early evening of Wednesday the 30th (but not prime time of that day), nearly everything except locals is still "To be announced" from 8pm EDT Sunday the 28th onward.

To clarify, I'm not seeing the "Missing Guide Data" (920) error pop-up... and I'm using an HR23... and, perhaps surprisingly, an HR20 that's still very happily cranking along... other than being on its 3rd external drive! :thumbsup:

My concern is that when this has happened previously, it's been unusual, but rectified by the following day. For example, there was a period where it would happen on weekends, but all data was caught up by late the following evening.

Needless to say, I haven't contacted customer/tech support at the mothership yet! ;) Far more productive and informative to check with the esteemed members here... to see if it's just my account and I do need to contact them for... something... o_O

Thanks in advance! :D

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What are you signal strengths on the set that is working and the one that is not ?

Have you ran a short program called CLEARMYBOX ?
    You do a search for that word and let it run. Takes about the same amount of time as a reset. Does not delete any recordings or change any settings.
    It cleans out the Guide in it's entirety and graphics and lets it start fresh.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    No need to call DIRECTV. No none you talk to will have a clue what is wrong.

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I just checked my guide, and there is no guide data for my premium channels for tomorrow or beyond! I had a software update overnight, but twelve hours later I would expect more guide data than I am seeing. Is this a problem, or does it really take this long to populate the guide after a SW update? Should I do a RBR?

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I always reset my receivers after a firmware update. You could try that and see if it helps your situation.
    It also seems to me that sometimes they update a lot faster at night after I quit using them.

6. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for the response!

Is your guide complete out to where/when it should be?

I guess my comment about the two receivers was unclear... they're both experiencing the same lack of guide data. I meant the HR20 was still cranking along in the sense that, yep, it's still working after all these years! :D

Signal strengths are good... generally in the 80s/low 90s on 103 and a bit lower on 99. Note that I'm still using a Slimline 5, but I assume none of the guide data comes from 110 or 119, as in the olden days. Or... am I wrong about that?

I have used CLEARMYBOX in the past, but I'm hesitant to use it except as a last resort. I have a large hard drive on both receivers, and that causes each reboot to take 20 - 25 minutes... and the last time I used CLEARMYBOX, it resulted in 3 or 4 reboots over the course of ~ 36 hours, once or twice interrupting recordings. :(

7. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for the comments/responses so far, all! :)

So... other than JerryMeeker, is anyone else missing extended (or otherwise) guide data that should be there?

For those who have a full guide (i.e. out 12-point-something days) are you using equipment other than an HR2x? I'm wondering if this is firmware related, and I know the HR44 and 54 get vastly different firmware from the HR2x models...

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Since doing an RBR several hours ago, the guide seems to be populating now. Scheduled recordings extend out to Monday. I suspect that by tomorrow I will have the expected 14 days of guide data available. So, in my case, it looks to be a false alarm.

CenturyBreak likes this.
  9. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Well... that's how it goes sometimes: things are messed up for a few days, I finally decide to post about it, and totally coincidentally whoever's asleep at the switch happens to wake up from their extended nap and things start getting back to normal!

I turned the TV on ~ 8:30, checked the guide for the evening of the 30th and lo and behold, things had already started filling in fairly well. :D

Good for another couple of years... hopefully! ;) :p :cool:

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My Guide goes as far as 8/1 on the 44 and the same on my 24s.

Rich

CenturyBreak likes this.
  11. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks for the update.

I checked this morning (watching business news with breakfast!) and it looked as though things are back to normal... we'll see later today if it really is... i.e. prime time of Wednesday the 31st and up to early evening of 8/1... although it sounds like @Rich has already seen that to be the case! :D

Rich likes this.
  12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I noticed the same thing earlier in the week. Lots of to be announced in the guide in the future where it should have been filled in. Now, it's all good. HR44. You're right - it does happen from time to time for no apparent reason. I have never noticed the details of the times of the updates like you, but I have noticed some of the other details you have throughout the years. This time seemed a little different - it effected (Affected? I will never get that right...) many more channels and the incomplete data seemed to not be as far in the future as it seemed in the past.

CenturyBreak likes this.
  13. CenturyBreak

CenturyBreak Mentor

Feb 28, 2007
    Yep! The normal pattern I described in the original post is what happens 99% of the time: guide updates during the day to get to that 12th day out... I notice it, 'cause I'm an old-skool TV junkie, always checking in the evening to see what's on (and what my timers will be picking up... and what I should be adding a timer for ;) ) out there, the week after next.

A couple times per year, there are no updates until later in the evening, and every few years, a day or so is skipped.

You noticed what I did this week: nothing for 3-plus days... which is unprecedented since Direct went to almost-13 days of guide, updated daily (instead of only on weekdays)... which admittedly, has been less than 10 years! :p