1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External drive reformatting questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryElbow, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 18
    JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I've been prowling this forum for the last few weeks, gathing information for a possible move off cable to DirecTV (those upcoming HD stations sound too tempting!). In my pre-HD days, I had a TiVo that I modded with a larger hard drive, giving me a LOT more recording capacity. When I went to a cable DVR, I was stuck with a a maximum of about 20 hours of HD recording capacity. I'd really like to go back to having significantly more than that, so the idea of a large (750Gb-1Tb) external drive on an HR20 sounds alluring. However, I've gotten the idea from some threads that the external drive might get reformatted under certain circumstances, such as rebooting the receiver. Can anybody tell me exactly under what circumstances an external drive might be reformatted (other than on the initial setup, of course)? I'd hate to have a hundred hours of HD tucked away and lose it all because a power outage caused a reboot of my receiver (not to mention the fact that my wife would kill me!).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There seems to be some sort of basic drive diagnostic when the DVR reboots after a software download. If something bad is found, the drive is erased.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 18
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006

Ick! Can it be assumed that DirecTV is working this? Can I assume this is the CE release? Or is this any release? You spark many more questions...

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 18
    vachief

vachief AllStar

Jul 17, 2007
    This is any release. There is nothing you can do about it. I have no idea if DirecTV is doing anything about this, but I certainly hope so. I wish there was at least a way to turn off software updates or at least control when they happen so that I could be prepared for losing everything..... That is is the one thing that makes me miss my DirectTivo DVR!

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 18
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "lost" recordings can happen anytime the DVR reboots.
    Part of the boot up process inspects the drive and deletes bad files.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 18
    JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I guess I wouldn't mind if it simply "cleaned house" and deleted any partial/scrambled files during a reboot (after the initial setup of the external drive). I'm even OK with it reformatting the entire drive if its diagnostics finds that the whole file system is messed up somehow. I'm just looking for confirmation that a reboot won't ALWAYS re-format the drive and lose ALL recordings. Anyone know if this is true?

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 18
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All the Ultimate TV DVRs, all the TiVos and all the HR20s and never had a program deleted by an update. Can't be that my luck is changing?

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 18
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    A reboot NEVER formats the drive UNLESS there is a problem found that requires it.

9. Sep 6, 2007 #9 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many people here have reported loosing all their recordings after a software download?

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yes that can happen, and has to a few, especially CE'ers. But an ordinary reboot has a much lower risk of it, and if you do lose them all, there is usually a reason, like corrupt data on the drive or even drive failures. Please dont complicate the issue by bringing up software downloads vs. straight reboots.

11. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I once lost about half of my recordings on my internal hard drive going back to national release software from a CE.

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I have never lost a recording on eSATA, and it has been rebooted many times and gone thru several software updates. As mentioned already in this thread, I believe the only time it deletes anything is due to the data being corrupted on the disk. Doing RBRs is one possible way the data on the disk data could get damaged, so a menu reset is alway preferable (assuming it's accessible).

13. JerryElbow

JerryElbow Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    THAT'S what I was hoping to hear! Thanks!

14. thepackfan

thepackfan Mentor

Aug 25, 2006
    I'm gone through 2 software updates on my eSata Seagate pro. First one lost everything the locked up during reboot had to pull plug. The second worked flawlessly. I'm really hoping that the first was just a fluke.

Do internal drives have Less of an issue with this?

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    [pure guess] There are more internal drives used that external drives. I'd say there is little difference between the two for this [I hope rare] issue. As I have posted, this can happen on any re-boot, but shouldn't be "always" by any means.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I will say that while performing the CE update about 3-4 weeks ago, I lost everything on my eSATA, and I had about 70 hours of programming(mixed HD and SD stuff). I know the risks of CE'ing, I reported it, but no complaints. The thing about that update is everything went perfectly, reset, 02468, caught it the 1st time, no lockups, etc...., after it rebooted following the update, completely blank. So even though I have pretty high faith in NR software, if you are worried about losing recordings, do NOT force a software update, only let it update when IT wants to.

17. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I never let my recordings run loose. I always keep them on a leash.

(I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.)

SMK

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I have lost a few recordings in the almost 11months I've had my 5 hr20s, but only once lost a large group and that was within my control. I did a full reset on one HR20 a long time ago.

Rare are the individual recordings lost, rarer still are the whole disk.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.