1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External drive stopped working after install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dhammon2, May 28, 2013.

1. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    [SIZE=medium]I am new to the HR44 so I hope I am describing this problem correctly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have a HR21-100 with a 2tb external drive. After moving it to the bedroom and upgrading a HR20-700 to a HR44-500 the external drive does not work on the HR21, after moving it to the bedroom and the install of the HR44 and whole home in the living room. A decca was added to the HR21. I didn't have the external drive hooked up to the HR21 when the installer hooked up the HR44 so everything was working fine when the installer left. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now I am trying to get the external drive to work on the HR21 where it worked before the install. I have a Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 32 MB hard drive in a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I unplugged the power to HR21, plugged in the docking station to the eSATA port, powered up the docking station, waited for the light to stop flashing, plugged in the power to the hr21. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Now I get:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hello you Directv is staring up.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Running receiver self-check[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Almost there. A few more seconds please..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Then[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hello you Directv is staring up.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Running receiver self-check[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]and this is repeated over and over.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Any ideas what might be causing this or how to troubleshoot?[/SIZE]

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sounds like the drive is not initializing correctly. I'd suggest double checking that the ESATA cable is seated properly, and perhaps even try a different cable.

There is a possibility that the drive was damaged in the shut down. I've had a drive or two fail on restart if the receiver wasn't shut down properly (for example, if power was lost to the drive and/or receiver).

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I've been using a bare drive with an ESATA-SATA cable and have seen this issue before. I was using the power adapter from a USB/SATA adapter and it worked fine for a long time. Then it started doing the reboot like you mention. I had an old PC and I used it to power the drive and the DVR fully booted. But it was an older PC so after a while its power supply also failed.

Anyway, I'd bet that your drive is fine and that the power supply is the likely culprit.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    1. you could test the drive/enclosure's guts/power brick and eSATA cable by connecting it to PC with eSATA port
    2. a cause of rebooting in a loop - do: I) remove the eSATA cable to see if it booting OK with internal drive, II)press Select during the boot and proceed with Dags tests of internal and external drives
    3. post resulst of 1 and 2 here, then we will continue ;)

5. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007

6. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Forgot to say the DVR came up on the internal drive after the reboot.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    press Select when fist phase of booting passed, then it start testing components (the moment been described in details many times here)

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    look with a flashlight into DVR's eSATA connector: if it damaged, if there any metal/paper's particles

9. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    The connector had SATA II on it. The one that came with the new docking station has e SATA and they both look ok.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sorry, but no such "SATA-II" connector exits, usually it's SATA "L" shape and eSATA 'I' shape... how you connect SATA-II to DVR's eSATA ? - that's puzzling me ; imaging if you damage the eSATA connector

11. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Sorry, I was called to jury duty and haven't had time to pursue this.

I was reading from the cable that came with the replacement Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station that I purchased from Amazon. This docking station and cable has been working since May 2012 when I moved the DVR and docking station to the bedroom. I can send a picture if you would like to see what I am talking about.

On the cable it had
    II
    SATA

The replacement docking station from Thermaltake for the power problem I had a year ago, which I only opened after this problem started had
    e
    SATA

If I remeber correctly. I will verify to make sure, I am getting old.

I found this comment on this forum on how to test the drives "Press 'Select' during reboot when the "receiver self check" message is on the screen. You'll get into the diagnostic menus. There are all sorts of tests you can run including the hard drive tests.

I thought I did press select during the receiver self check and nothing happened, I hope to try again tonight.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    NP, the naming is confusing many ppl ...

lets see when and how you could get into Diags menu

13. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    When the Running Receiver Self Check screen was displayed I hit the select button, received "Entering Diagnostics Mode..." after about 6 minutes it said Running Receiver Self Check again, hit the select button again "Entering Dianostics Mode" I left the room after several minutes when I came back it was in the previous loop again, Running receiver self-check, Almost there. A few more seconds please...

[SIZE=medium]Maybe the drive did die during the power down, but when I moved it to the bedroom, I powered down the receiver then powered down the docking station then uplugged the eSATA cord, not sure what could have caused the failure.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The docking station is new the eSATA is new but the power cord is the same because the power cord that came with the new docking station was bad. I ordered a WD20EARX today. If if boots with the new hard drive I guess that would mean the hard drive is the problem. I would hate that it was at 85% full with a lot of shows I would really like to have, but that's life. [/SIZE]

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    so, use Victoria or MHDD are out of your league ? :)

15. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I have very limited knowledge of hardware or software for that matter, but I am learning and I can google, thanks for the info.I will give it a try. :righton:

16. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I think your right it is out of my league. I tried installing Victoria on a Win7 machine, (the only one I have with a eSATA port) and tried to run in compatibility mode with admin rights,

, but it does not find the driver. I copied the porttalk.sys file from the unzipped Vic directory to system32\drivers but that didn't help. I know very little about hard drives and especailly testing them so I probably wouldn't be able to use it any way.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    better go down to DOS ;) - it's much better suit for such time-critical processes like testing HDD

if you'll DL MHDD ISO file, then burn it to CD it would be self-bootable, then doesn't matter what WinOS installed on your local drive; just boot from the CD

18. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I was trying to get MHHD to work but could not get it to recognize the drive.
    It had 3 options
    1 Port 1F0h - Primary Controller
    3 Port 170h - Secondary Controller
    5 PC-3000 board

Could not get any to recgonize. Receive message "drive not ready"

Even a blind squirell.......
    I think I was able to get Victoria to work,
    Is the right test?

Attached Files:

19. dhammon2

dhammon2 Cool Member

Aug 6, 2007