External eSata Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    My current set-up is as follows:
    Genie HR34 in Den
    Mini in the Office
    HR24 in our Exercise Room

Currently use the Genie to record all of our weekly programs, specials, sports and movies.
    Use the HR24 to record mostly movies, and some daily news shows.

Would like to add an external eSata hard drive, but have a couple of questions.

1. Thinking about getting the DirecTV 2TB drive from Amazon ($199.88) and putting it in the Exercise Room, connected to the HR24. Does anyone have any experience with this HD? Do you think it's worth the money? I know there are some 3TB drives out there, and would appreciate any recommendations on something that may be better. I know that WD makes a My Book 3TB eSata drive ($149.99), but don't know anything about that one, except that it's Western Digital. Is it compatible with DirecTV DVRs?
    2. I read somewhere on these forums that if you connect an external drive to (in my case the HR24), and the DVR goes bad, the content of the external hard drive cannot be seen on another DVR because it was formatted by the DVR that went bad. Is this true? If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like a very good plan to hook it up to the older DVR. Doesn't seem like a huge increase in media storage if I hook it up to the Genie and go from 1TB to 2TB for the money spent. If I hook it up to the Genie, then maybe going to a 3TB drive would be the better move.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It depends on how you watch/store shows. I used to record a season and then watch the entire season over a few nights. But then I had several HR24 drives that failed and I lost my shows. So I pretty much record my shows and then watch within 1-2 weeks. So our HR44 1TB and four other DVRs (all 500 GB I think), have more than enough room that I wouldn't add an external drive.

UNLESS, I could keep that external drive and move it to another DVR. But you can't. Well, I guess you can watch OTA shows that might be on the external drive and the external drive will keep your series links when you get a replacement.

But to me, with our personal viewing habits, an external drive for DIRECTV isn't worth it.

3. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for the quick response. You verified what I was afraid of. If you can't take the external drive to another DVR without losing the content, then it wouldn't make any sense to get one....and attach it to an older DVR. If I would do anything, then I would have to attach it to my Genie, but then the aesthetics of my set-up in the Den would be degraded. It appears that our viewing habits are similar to your.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Well, my viewing habits were modified by a string of DVR failures (4) in less than 9 months (I only really count 3 failures -- a replacement DVR they sent us had problems from day 1. So we didn't record anything to that DVR. It lasted less than 1 month before it was also replaced. )

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    FYI, HR2x series DVRs can take up to 2TB. Genies can take much larger external drives.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And that pretty much sums up the purpose of a DVR, that is to time shift and not archive....

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    A discussion that routinely happens here.

But, I wasn't trying to archive my shows (as some here said they like to do). After I watch a show, I delete it.

I was just trying to time shift an entire season on a few shows to binge watch ("24" was the show that got me doing this). Then I had multiple failures.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    My post was not "targeting" you, rather I was using you as a great example of how someone (properly) uses a DVR. I record stuff that I watch as soon as possible, sometimes shows get "back logged" and when that happens we (wife and I) try to find time to binge watch. If we don't watch in about two weeks that show can pretty much be considered "garbage" and loosing for what ever reason is not an issue.

Now my wife is holding to the last show of the Colbert Report, she is aware that if DVR breaks that show is gone, and she is OK with that. I don't think I have never, ever hit the 30% full mark of my HR44

9. jerseynewyorker

jerseynewyorker New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    I record everything on my HR24. Anything that was time shift recorded I delete once I watch it. Anything I want to archive, I just record it to DVD using a DVD recorder. I know that may sound "old school" since DVD recorders are not really popular anymore. I also know that the quality of the recorded DVD will not be HD, but it's good enough for archiving. The only shows I have archived on an external hard drive are a few 3D programs because 3D can not be recorded on a DVD recorder. I own the HR24, and I'm hoping that if I ever cancel DTV, I will still be able to use that DVR to access the external hard drive.