1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive decryption

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by bobj125, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobj125

bobj125 New Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I used to have a vip612 dvr . Dish encrypted my external hard drive that was connected to the dvr , and i would like to watch the shows i recorded . How do decrypt this drive? where do i begin? is there a encryption key?

Thanks

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You can ONLY watch programs archived to the external hard drive by playing them on the receiver.

Without a VIP DVR on the same account as they were recorded, you may as well format the drive you can NEVER play the programs.

Content providers insist on encryption so no one can copy and share their programs.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    However, if you still had the 612, you could connect any other recording device including a VCR or a PC to the video out connections, play the programs while recording them to the other device, then do what you want with them.

So, I really don't see the point of the EHD demands by the content providers.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Since you cannot do it, and to even discuss how to do it would be against terms of service and possibly illegal, I can see no reason for the thread to remain open.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Hopper can play ViP 622/722/922 drives (same account).

Quality. Dubbing on video outputs reduces the quality of the recording. Being able to play the file on other devices gives you a higher quality playback.

It does seem unfair that DVRs leased by the satellite providers are more restricted in what can be done with the content than independently purchased devices. But it serves the satellite provider well to know that if you cancel your service and return your leased equipment your content is gone. It might encourage people to stay with their provider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.