External Hard Drive Swap

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jack428, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Jack428

Jack428 New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I have 2 Directv accounts, for now. An RV account and a home account. Both have HR44's. The house account has an external hard drive. Can I move the hard drive to the other HR44 and keep the recordings? Or will it reformat and erase the hd?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Last I heard, the recordings are tied to the DVR that recorded them. So, no.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Connect the HD to another HDDVR and it will Download Current Software in the Stream and Wipe the drive -meaning everything will be lost - making it ready for new series to be set up.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have never used an external drive. But my experience with swapping an internal drive, on older equipment, is the drive does not wipe. It will show your recordings in the LIST, but you will not be able to access/play them. The exception being programs recorded via OTA (if you have an OTA adapter).

However, either way you will not be able to view the recordings. They are tied to the DVR they were recorded on. So don't bother trying to connect your drive to the other unit. Be on the safe side just in case it does wipe the drive.

Rich likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    old recording are encrypted by a key from smart card;
    theoretically if you can re-marry one card to other DVR, then voila !

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've swapped out drives occasionally, one old drive for another. Never have I seen the content of the Playlist disappear. Of course the HR won't play anything it didn't record so I always end up deleting what's on the Playlist.

Rich