1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by stevey, Mar 2, 2009.

1. stevey

stevey New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    How do I format my external hard drive so I can connect it to my DVR? I had it connected to the MOXI box when I had cable and it worked great but the Directv DVR said it could not find the format.
    Thanks

2. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Just connect the drive unformatted. The DVR formats it automatically.

3. stevey

stevey New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I tried that but it didn't work. I'll try again. I wonder if it is not working because I had it formatted to the MOXI DVR and for some reason the new DVR can't change the formatting.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Did you follow the prescribed procedure?

reset DVR receiver through setup menu, when the lights go out right b4 reboot, disconnect power plug. Connect eSATA enclosure, USB drives will not work, power up eSATA enclosure, wait 10-1 seconds, then plug DVR back in, it should format it automagically provided you have a supported eSATA solution.

5. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Is it a USB hd? If so the DirecTV dvrs won't use it. If it's Esata make sure it's connected up securely and reboot the receiver and it should automatically recognize it and format it.

6. stevey

stevey New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    It's a USB so that is the problem. Thanks for your help. Now I know what to do.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA