1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HD Enclosure for EHD?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by mfrazzz, Feb 28, 2010.

1. mfrazzz

mfrazzz New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I have a 500GB internal IDE HD that I pulled out of my old DirecTiVo and put into a USB 2.0 External HD enclosure. My idea was to hook this up to my 722K to use as an EHD. I plugged it in, connected up the USB to the reciever and the receiver said it needed to format the drive, so I told it ok. It then comes back with Format failed.

I tried taking the drive and formatting it with windows (NTFS) and hooked it up and same thing happened. So does this mean I can't use this setup? Anyone else use an external HD case successfully (or is everyone just buying WD Mybooks)?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Test the drive inside of your PC; better SW is MHDD.exe (boot from CD or floppy); run it select Scan [F4] with Remap=on; check SMART report before and after Scan.

3. GravelChan

GravelChan Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I have used a couple different External HD enclosures with no problems. Did it format properly in windows and show 400 something gigs available?

4. mfrazzz

mfrazzz New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Yes, the drive formatted just fine under windows and showed the proper size / freespace. I'll try MHDD later. I have another HD enclosure, I might try that too. I just wanted to make sure using a drive in an External enclosure was doable after I hit this. Would it make a difference if I formated it ext2 or ext3 with Linux (or does the 722K always have to reformat a new drive?)

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, the DVR will reformat it regardless what _you_ did.

MHDD (also try Victoria under Windows) will check and show you a health of the disk, getting SMART data is important. MHDD Remap+Scan will check all sectors and force HDD's FW to remap [hide from any OS] bad sectors.

6. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Does your EHD case have an external power supply? I've not had any luck with drives that were powered from the USB port, and no issues with ones that have an external supply.

I have a drive I put in an external case that can go both ways -- using internal USB power it's flaky, but plug in the external wall wart power supply and it works well.

Might be a thought?

7. mfrazzz

mfrazzz New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ok, well it appears to be an issue with the enclosure and not with the HD. I took the same Hard Drive and put it in another enclosure I have and the 722K could format the drive fine, and I'm transferring files from the receiver to it now. Just to verify, I put the same drive back in the first enclosure and hooked it up to the receiver. The receiver immediately wanted to reformat it again and couldn't.

To answer some questions: Yes, both eclosures have external power (they aren't just USB powered). Yes, I played with the Master/Slave/CS settings and it didn't make any difference. Yes, I tried different USB cords. So the only difference is the enclosure itself. I'll probably look at returning this to NewEgg and getting another one thats similar (they don't carry the same one anymore) to the one that works.

Just for fun, I also just put a 250GB drive that I had laying around in the 1st enclosure and it behaves the same way (says it needs to format, then says failed formatting). I'll lay odds it would work in the working enclosure (but I'm done testing this now ;) )

8. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I found that an external enclosure with four power pins from the power block to the enclosure work fine and the ones with a coax power connection from the block to the enclosure are iffy at best. Therefore, if I were you, I would shoot for the four wire kind. I have a Vantec one which works fine with the exception that the power on LED blinks and flickers intermittantly and often rapidly when nothing is going to or from the drive. Quite annoying.......:(