1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HD Install problems with new THR22-100 DirecTV-TIVO unit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by frankc23, Dec 21, 2011.

1. frankc23

frankc23 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I just received my TIVO DirecTV THR22-100 on Monday. Nice. So the next day I tried to connect an external hard drive and it isn't working.

Here's what happened: I shut down the receiver and plugged in the eSATA cable and turned on the HD. Then I powered up the receiver. All seemed to go well, and the screen told me it was formatting the HD. It completed the process and I had picture. I started adjusting the settings. All was seeming to go well until I noticed the dial-in to connect to the DVR Service had failed. I asked it to connect now, then the whole system shut down and tried to restart.*

So it is now in a attempt-to-restart loop. It tries to restart, but always aborts the process; then restarts again, but never makes it through.

Eventually I decided to remove the external HD cable and now I'm running off the internal HD, which works fine.

What did I do wrong? I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA III hard drive, model WD2002FAEX. I have the HD in a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Docking station.

Any help? (also posted this request at TIVO Community Forums)

Thanks,

Frank

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s!

As far as I know, eSATA support on the THR22 is in the same state as it is with other DIRECTV DVRs. It should work but is unsupported. I suspect that the drive simply isn't working with the TiVo... a different drive probably would.

This thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=142735

is all about people who have used eSATA with varying success. I suspect that the eSATA drivers in the HR22 and THR22 are the same (although that's just a suspicion) so you might want to find a drive that people say works with an HR22-100 and try that.

3. frankc23

frankc23 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks, Stuart. That's a lot of helpful info. I may have missed a step. I'll try again. The problem though, is that some of this info is quite old and some of the HD models are no longer available.

So if anyone out there has an external HD running with the THR22-100 that works, please let me know. Thanks, all!

4. _mj

_mj New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Were you able to get the external hard drive working reliably?

5. frankc23

frankc23 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Not yet. I assume I do not have the correct cable/HD/eSATA enclosure combination.

6. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Would love to know if/when you get it to work. We might still switch for the new Tivo when it comes out in our area but we have to have a big EHD

7. _mj

_mj New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    DirecTV recommended that I try the following:

Enclosure : Antec MX-1
    HDD : WD20EADS

I installed them this weekend and so far everything is working correctly on my THR-22 .

8. WSUPolar

WSUPolar Cool Member

Jun 18, 2007
    [strike]I gave up on my external. I tried three different enclosures. I even tried my MX-1 enclosure that's long worked with my HR21-700.

Same, issue, says formatting, then errors out to NO HD Detected.

I just opened the case and put my 2TB drive in my DirecTiVo. 5 Security Torx and the case was opened, unplug 500GB drive, plug in 2TB drive.

I now have 302 hours HD and 2600 hours SD recording cap.[/strike]
    I'll just strike that out, since we still can't open out receivers.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    A little late.....:lol: