1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HD on 2 Diff HD DVR's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by omyn, May 17, 2010.

1. omyn

omyn New Member

May 17, 2010
    Hi all. I am currently a Directv customer. My contract is up in about 6 wks and I am thinking of switching over to cable. My questions is: I currently have an HD DVR from Directv with a 1Tb external Hard Drive attached. If I switched to an HD DVR from the cable company, would I be able to simple "plug and play" my hard drive on the new DVR? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    The hard drive might work on the cable company DVR, but you would not be able to watch any of the content. The content is encrypted and can only be played back on the DVR on which it was recorded.

3. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    It won't work.

Same answer as you got in the DIRECTV General Discussion forum area.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

As others have said, the content is not compatible. I'm not even sure the format of the drive is compatible.

However, you’ll have to check with the cable company about using an external drive. I don’t know about Uverse or FiOS but our local cable companies don’t allow adding drives.

Mike

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
  6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Neither Uverse or Comcast allows external HD's in my area.....all you get is what they come with internally and they are pathetically small drives.

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The drive in a friends Cox DVR will do twenty hours of HD. :eek2:

That's not enough to get me beyond about ten days of recording. :D

Mike

8. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I had one of those on Comcast a few years back and even 20 hours wasn't always possible. Those things definitely felt cramped.