1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HD playback freezes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jmg, Dec 14, 2009.

1. jmg

jmg Cool Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I just installed a external drive using Antec MX1 and a WD20EAS green drive following the advice on these forums. I have them connected to a HR20-700 and the HR recognized the external right away, no problems, BUT the playback freezes randomly anywhere from a moment and playback starts again to indefinitely and locks up my HR, and not always in the same location, anyone else experience this? I am using the stock esata cable that came with the Antec, should I try a better one like a SIIG. Thanks

2. davidjplatt

davidjplatt Legend

Sep 22, 2007
    I saw this problem and tried a different drive and the problem went away. It could just be a marginal drive.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Did you set the drive for mode I operation? The HR20's dont tend to like the drives set in native 3Gb/s mode, they prefer 1.5Gb/s mode instead, there is a jumper on the dirve you can set...And it could also be a problem with the new drive, you will occasionally get a bad one right out of the box just like with any new electronic devices...

4. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    If you change this setting after you have already been using the drive, will the HRxx reformat the drive on start up?

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It shouldnt. You arent really changing anything on the drive that would make it look like a different drive to the HR20. if he just installed it, even if it did erase it there shouldnt be much of anything to lose yet.

6. jmg

jmg Cool Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I will try the jumper when I get home, based on what I can see I have to jump pins 5&6. Is there any post showing what is needed for this to be setup correctly, I obviously missed the jumper issue, and I am not clear on what the mode I operation means.
    Thanks

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SATA 1(Mode 1)=1.5Gb/s mode
    SATA2(Mode2)=3Gb/s mode..

8. jmg

jmg Cool Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Okay I am in the process right now of jumping the pins and will try it out.
    Thanks

9. jmg

jmg Cool Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Jumping the pins 5&6 has not fixed my issues, anyone else running this same combination got any ideas?
    Thanks

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The other idea is probably the most valid then, you either have a bad drive or bad enclosure....its electronics equipment, it happens

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just got a WD 1.5EADS the other day and it doesn't come with jumpers. Where did you get them? Or am I missing something?

Installed it in my latest "owned" 20-700 and it works perfectly. As did the same model drive in an Antec on a 20-700 before the DLB NR shot it down and I didn't have to change the settings.

I looked for jumper/s in the box and packaging and I couldn't find any.

Just curious since it works well at 3Gbs.

Rich

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I am not a fan of the "Green" drives. You get little of the benefit as use in a DVR does not allow them to park the heads. So you get a slower drive without any benefit.

I am using the WD Caviar Black drives in MX-1's, and they have been flawless.

Now I just need to find a way to clone my FAP to a 1.5TB drive. :)

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The one thing that many need to remember is even at 1.5GB/s speeds, the DVR isnt even coming close to saturating the transfer rates for these drives...even when recording 2 HD streams and 1 VOD. I can just about guarantee if you put a 15K rpm raptor in one dvr and a green drive in another and they would still work at the same speed....You have to be able to use nearly all the capability of a drive b4 a faster drive will make one lick of difference....

14. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    Huh?

"Green" drives are usually very quiet. People are sensitive to hard drive noise in their DVRs. As seen in many other threads in this forum. :D

Plus, hard drive heads don't park unless the power is off. There is too much disk activity in modern operating systems, and the HD is never idle. The hard drive gets its energy savings by spinning the platters at 5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm. This gives up some performance, but a DVR doesn't need that much performance so it's OK.

The three-month infant mortality rate for an average DVR hard drive is 10%. That is most likely the OP's problem.

15. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    From Western Digital's website:

DVR's have no idle.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So if they have no idle, they don't run any slower.....but of course they arent really ever given a chance to run "green" either.

17. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That was kind of my point. ;)

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just got the return sticker from Amazon for the WD. Noisy as hell. This is an HDD that you would not want in a quiet bedroom. Used to Seagates which are virtually silent. Took a Seagate out of the HR and now I'll put one back in. Never have had a lot of luck with WD products. But, I tried.

Rich

19. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    In my old TiVo based DVR's, I used Maxtors (are they even still around?) and you could use the tools that came with them to set the drive to "quiet" mode. Was quite a difference.

20. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    Sigh ... as I said before, they run "green" all the time. The "idle" "feature" is just a marketing trick. If you put this drive into a Windows PC, it won't "idle" either. In theory, if it miraculously did idle (because you were running DOS), that would make it even "greener".

The main "green" feature is that the platters spin slower and there are fewer of them, thus requiring less energy. It's like 6.5 W vs. more than 10W during seeking. Saving around 4W on a PC isn't very much, though.

They are also some of the quietest drives around. If the OP had a noisy one he may have had a defective one.