1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hdd...best practices?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by feffer, Aug 16, 2017.

1. feffer

feffer Cool Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Using my 722 for several years. I have a 1T EHD attached via a powered USB dock. Works well, but hdds fail, so I cloned to a backup 1T drive (both WD green). It is a true clone with the same partition UUIDs etc. Every 4-6 months or sooner when I've made a lot of changes, I power down the dock, remove the hdd and run rsync from my desktop to the clone and then swap that one into the attached 722 dock. The only issue is that the updated hdd is sometimes/often not recognized by the Dish box. Sometimes unplugging and replugging the dock does the trick, but usually I have to shutdown the 722, unplug it (to reset, I suppose), then plug back in and restart. I've wondered why this happens, so I ran #fsck -v /dev/scxx on the hdd and got a "bad superblock" message. I've tried to fix this by sub-ing in backup one, but no success there. Never-the-less, the hdd WILL be accepted after a 722 reset. Not sure what's happening or why? Anything more I can do?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    why you did clone the HDD, instead of recommended [here many times] copy of "DishArc" folder to DVR's initialized second drive ?!

3. feffer

feffer Cool Member

Apr 30, 2008
    My bad...really never check the forum unless I have a problem...so didn't know about this. Much easier than what I did. Not sure that would make a difference in the bad superblock part of the question? Also on a 2TB drive, it looks like the 722, does a partition and format...ie 3 500G partitions and a 350+G one all formatted in ext3. There are separate "DishArc" folders in each partition...sound about right? I've been using a linux app, rsync to mirror the actual contents of the DishArc folders...any problem with that?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    big ..very bug ...huge !
    it would eliminate the issue

5. feffer

feffer Cool Member

Apr 30, 2008
    OK, appreciate your patience. So the correct order would be: 1) stick an unformatted hdd (say 1T) into my dock and connect the USB to the 722 and let it format. 2) When done shut down the dock, remove the hdd and connect to my computer. It should show a small reserved partition for Dish proprietary stuff...like /dev/sdd1, and 4 more partitions with a DishArc directory (folder) in each. 3) Copy my existing hdd content (hdd with the bad superblock) into the new hdd in their respective DishArc folders. For this process, I can use any normal file copy method: like on linux, cp, scp, rsync etc, right?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    looks good (the EHD shouldn't have small partition - it's exist in EHD Type II from 211), first I would try to correct bad superblock issue by connecting old EHD to 722 and make graceful disconnection (by menu or turning off by remote)