External vs Internal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Sep 4, 2019.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    This is a followup to my "External case" posting and its a no no.
    Now that the "case"problem has been cleared up thanks to Coastal and others for the fine examples, I got to thinking, why not just replace the Internal drive. This is easy to do per other postings and examples shown on YouTube. The myth of SSD short life in a DVR has been proven wrong and I have been using a SSD in my computer for four years of daily use with no problems. As far as cost, the nod goes to internal by a large margin. Most of the swaps have been for more drive space but in my case, I would swap the 1tb drive for 500gb drive as my recording habits do not require a large drive. The drive will be a SSB to get rid of noise and heat. The HR42 works fine with a 500gb drive. The only disadvantage is you should put the original drive back in if the unit is returned.
    SSTV

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You missed big point: WinOS PC features written to support SPECIFICALLY SSD...
    The DVR's OS (Linux variant) does not

3. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    What happens if i put a 1tb ssd in my HR44-700? This posting supports my posting .
    SSTV

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not in that thread it didn't. We were told what might happen if mounted internally and I stuck with external mounting. Read thru that thread again.

Rich

5. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I put a SSD in my 24 earlier this year. It got really hot, but not enough to trigger the fan high enough compared to a standard HDD. I believe it suffered some damage due to heat, in that it freezes once a week now and I have to do a reboot. Had no trouble with any other SSD’s mounted in external drives.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, what I remember is along those lines, didn't feel like reading the whole thing again. Mount the SSDs internally and you get heat related problems. Problems you don't get when you mount the SSDs externally.

Rich