1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme Guide Slowwwness This PM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pappasbike, Jul 11, 2012.

1. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Thought we were past this. But today on my HR 21 all of a sudden the guide takes about 30-40 seconds to come up. Channel changes using the guide take almost a minute. Inputting the channel number to change channels or go to that channel in the guide is almost useless because each digit takes so long to appear that you can never get to it. I restarted the receiver with no improvement. A prior update seemed to improve this quite a bit but if we're going back this I'd rather ditch the whole service and just go to watching stuff off the air. At least I wouldn't have to worry about what channels get dropped from my package, and the tuner on my tv is like the speed of light compared to these things.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe resetting the NVRAM would help.
    Tune to channel 1 and wait about 30s, then press Red Red Blue Blue Yellow Green.
    A message in the lower left of the screen will show that the NVRAM has been cleared.

3. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I actually tried that. Took forever just to get the channel to come up. Didn't help. Things seem back to normal slowness today. I don't know what was going on yesterday. I've been thinking of just paying full price for an HR34 to replace this junk but there seem to be many troubling issues there.

Every time this happens I just question how much I really need the whole service and its aggravations.

4. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Sometime early afternoon my guide was reset I assume by directv for the channels that were dropped. So maybe it was slow while guide data was reloaded could take up to 24 hours to load everything

5. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    If that's what was going on I can understand it. But why not just leave those channels visible with a notification that they are temporarily/currently unavailable. They are doing just that with some of the sports/news/mix channels.Seems like they've made the decision that those will never be back.

Also that slowness lasted most of the afternoon and evening for me. This has happened so many times in the past I have fantasies of taking this thing outside and running over it with my car. Especially when I see videos of people scrolling through the guide on their Dish equipment. And I don't want to have a discussion of Dish versus DTV, I just want functional equipment.

6. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    +1

7. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Yea I know what you are saying about things being slow on the receivers I just know this would have made them even slower for a period of time

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    every 12 days or so I just do double reboot on the hr21's I use to view. seems to help a bit.
    the other hr21's are just used for mrv so not an issue but the slow guide has been issue for few months for me.

9. glen4cindy

glen4cindy Cool Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm having the same issues with guide slowness, and, it is actually only slow on the screens with the banners about the Viacom mess.

All of the other screens move by much faster.

If there is one of those blue channel banners about Viacom on the guide, there is about a 6 or 7 second delay between me pressing the page up/down button and the time when the guide advances. Any other guide screen is almost immediate.

Has DTV built in some sort of pre-programmed "pauses" just to people will "take notice" of those banners across the screen, or do they somehow interfere with the guide itself, or is it just a fluke?

I have used the procedure at the top for resetting NVRAM, and I have reset my receiver twice over the last couple of days with the RED reset button.

Thanks in advance.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I have noticed that any time the guide shows one of those ad banners it slows navigation way down (as if I didn't hate them already). just my best guess but maybe these are served on the fly from the non-user partition of the HDD in addition, or on top, of serving the guide pages, and the extra HD graphics tax system throughput. Wouldn't put it past them.

Even if it is not at fault for slowing things down annoyingly (and I believe it is), this is equivalent to a pop-up ad in a free app. When you buy the paid version, the pop-ups go away. But there is nothing free about DTV, so they should not be bothering us with these stupid banners.

I know corporate board mandate is to squeeze every penny for the investors, but at what price to paying customers? There is a point of diminishing returns where enough corners are cut to drive customers away. The exclusivity DBS and cable used to use as a cudgel in these rate disagreements is becoming not so exclusive; the other ways to get these programs are real and increasingly available. It seems like a bad idea to keep reminding customers during these disagreements with program vendors that they can break the habit of watching on DTV and go elsewhere to get these products; some might not ever come back to DTV.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    One of the few times we seem to be close to being on the same page.

Not sure if a VRAM clearing would help, but things like this have been helped with clearing the VRAM.
    There is "something" from the banner ads that causes a hit on the performance, though it's not always as noticeable.