Extreme night owls: ‘I can’t tell anyone what time I go to bed’

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From The Guardian:

Extreme night owls: ‘I can’t tell anyone what time I go to bed’
    What happens when your natural sleeping pattern is at odds with the rest of the world?
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm all over the place. IF I need to be up for an early meeting OR I know I have a long day and want to get an early start, I can do it... but if left to my own devices and am able to schedule my workday around it, I much prefer sleeping later and working through lunch to make up for some of that time. I find it hard to sleep most night, mind racing and all that... so a lot of the time I'm trying to stay up until I am ready to fall asleep fast, and that varies from night to night.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I know what you mean. See if your Primary Care will prescribe Gabapentin (900 MG nightly) taken 1-4 hours before bedtime. This in addition to the normal avoid caffiene. My problem is falling back to sleep after waking up, and the drug makes it easier to fall back to sleep.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    My sleep schedule has been a mess since I returned to daytime after six years being on overnight shift. I'm still recovering.

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I used to have two seasonal jobs, one day shift and one night shift.

Fortunately, there was enough time-off between the two for me to reset my "sleep clock."

I had read or heard somewhere to always change shifts in the same direction - with the clock, never against it.

Just go to bed anytime from a few mins to a couple hours later each day until you've reached your new get up time. Always worked for me.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I've always just "click" and I'm changed. I work that way for a timezone change as well.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I was a radio operator in the Army. We had to cover all 24 hours. I worked a day shift for 3 days, a night shift for 3 days, a midnight shift for 3 days, and then 72 hours off. There were 24 hours between each shift change. Four teams covered this 12-day week. I was young at the time; I sure couldn't do anything like that now.