1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ExtremeTech Reviews 5 eSATA drives...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ken S, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    We gathered drives from five manufacturers: Cavalry, Iomega, LaCie, Seagate, and Western Digital. To keep the playing field fair, we requested the same capacity from each participant: 500GB. That's a big chunk of storage, but they do come larger....

Review of 5 eSATA Drives at ExtremeTech

2. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    So the obvious question is, and I don't want to go wadding through the long eSATA thread, is anyone using the recommended Cavalry drives successfully?

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I didn't read the entire review...

But did they test them, under 24/7 usage criterias? In enclosed cabinents?
    (basically where they tested with computer considerations, or DVR considerations)

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Earl,

This did not seem to be a longitudinal study, purely speed in simulated and limited real-world Windows PC usage.

They did marginally consider an important DVR factor, noise, but didn't seem to measure that scientifically.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Interesting that they found the Cavalry drives to be the best choice.

Check out the thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=350510 discussing external esata drives with the S3.

The first post in the thread shows enclosures, drives and esata2 cables that seem to work fine with the S3.

I expect any of them will work fine with the HR20 as well.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The ExtremeTech testing was more based on speed, throughput, etc. and not 24/7 DVR use. It seems some in the Tivo group are finding that it develops problems over time.

7. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Speed and throughput aside; for 24/7 use, I would still recommend Seagate, as I have in other threads. Been around a long time, and very reliable. Just my 02.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Canis,

I don't know what type of drives Calvary is using in their enclosures. I'm pretty sure they don't make their own.

9. Andrew67

Andrew67 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    It would have been nice if they would have cracked open the enclosures to see what drives are contained within.

10. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Hmmm - well if there were Seagates in there, then.... :)

Still there's the controller. Calvary must be new? Someone mentioned seeing them in Costco or something.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm not sure if they're making the controller or just using off the shelf stuff and putting it all together. They're all over the internet now because of the low cost.

I guess time will tell if they're much good.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    They must include info about FW version, AAM settings.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    They don't on their website. I'm sure if someone owned one it wouldn't be hard to tell.

14. sgibson

sgibson AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    August 2007 issue of CPU mag, pg. 21, gives the Seagate eSata/USB FreeAgent Pro 750GB, 4-1/2 out of five stars. CPU gives very few 4-1/2 stars in their reviews. This and other users feedback is why I chose the Seagate. Working flawlessly.

15. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Good deal sgibson. and good to know that review was high. i've used a lot of Seagate in TV/video production over a number of years so I can recommend them personally as well.

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    To me there are a couple considerations: This is to store all my movies! It has to be solid. But if I'm using a RAID5 solution and therefore redundancy, I might consider less expensive drives.

Cheers,
    Tom

17. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    So this test shows my seagate that I bought 750gb to be the slowest. I have not hooked it up yet, waiting for the cable fromo newegg. Is speed that significant in a DVR? Am I going to be missing chunks of movies that are recorded etc?

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I think you'll be fine. I doubt you could find an SATA hard drive today that would be too slow for DVR use..especially with an eSATA interface. The things I would look for in a DVR drive are:

1. Reliability in a 24/7 working environment
    2. Heat
    3. Noise

I have read one report that said the Seagate got very hot...so that would be the only thing I'd check on.

19. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks, your probably right. Re the heat, I have another usb fan like the one I am using on the HR20, guess I can rig that to this esata in some fashion.

20. uscboy

uscboy Godfather

Sep 5, 2006
    I tried digging through that huge eSATA thread, but it's a lot to go through. I had
    a quick question about eSATA in general with the HR20 I didn't seen answered
    yet.

I know the near future is internal or external drive, not both, but is that a
    hardware limitation or a software limitation at this point? Also, not powering up
    the internal when the external is connected - is that a hardware issue (ie,
    impossible) or a software issue that can be enabled some day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.