1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 coverage....superb!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bnwrx, Apr 15, 2018.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Is anyone else excited about the change in F1 coverage provided to us by ESPN? The Chinese GP today was very exciting...3 teams now are in the battle each race. Mid field pack is very tight. Should be a very exciting/interesting season indeed....but....the TV programming we are getting is truly where the excitment is. ESPN picks up the entire weekend from SKY Sports. We get every practice session(Fridays on ESPN3), qually, and race. On race day a pre-race show, the race and the post race are...get this!!!.....ENTIRELY COMMERCIAL FREE!! Thanks to Mothers auto products for their sponsorship. Thank you F1 and ESPN for this!

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Commercial free is great, but as I mentioned elsewhere, if they’re going to give us the Sky feed why not the 4K feed as well like they do with EPL matches?

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The first race, in Australia, ESPN tried to insert commercials by just randomly leaving the Sky feed and rejoining without any updates. Decisions made by somebody in Bristol CT where it was the middle of the night. This led to complaints and Mother's agreed to replace its commercials with "Brought to you by..." bugs on the screen.

ESPN can do this because it is getting the entire season for zero dollars. Previous rights holder, NBCSN, declined to bid because F1 is launching a new app based pay deal with telemetry, extra camera angles, and so on. Think of the whole thing as an infomercial for the app.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    New to watching F1. Is there really much to be gleaned from watching the prelims?

And is there a nice summary of the races- highlights, I guess, showing critical overtakings, pitstops, etc.? (I admit I am not a true fan.)

5. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Some would argue that watching F1 is boring....I, on the other hand have been a faithful follower since I was 13 yrs old and attended a race in Watkins Glen NY. I am fascinated by all the technology involved, the details of the power units, precise fitments of every part of the car,etc. I will admit it may not be for everyone, but for those who follow it, the pre-race shows(practice,qually) explore some of these details of the sport. I am of the opinion that there may be "too much" tech involved in the current power units, but that is my opinion. Remember, each part on these machines is hand built to tiny tolerances and only meant to last a few races. Each team employs hundreds of people to produce 2 cars for each race. I could go on,but won't.....Personally I thoroughly enjoy the amount of coverage we now get for this sport. Hope you can too....

6. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    NBC has the rights to the 4K feeds for EPL which is probably how they worked out a deal for DirecTV to carry a few said games in 4K. However with ESPN having the F1 rights.... it's hard to say if/when we'll get those 4K feeds here.

7. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    The ESPN app has clips of highlights. Watch ESPN has replays of all events.
    F1: On The Grid for pre race

I never watch any of the prelim stuff myself anymore because the hype rarely lives up to what actually happens in the race.

Overtaking? Depends on the race, really. What Ricciardo did yesterday was definitely not the norm. F1 sometimes gets tagged as just being a case of “follow the leader”. This is unfair, unless it’s Monaco.

8. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    Will probably happen when ESPN launches a 4K channel. Which will probably be a specialty channel like ESPN3D was for a couple years until more channels make the swap to 4K

9. nvsundevil

nvsundevil Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Nevada
    Have been watching F1 for the past several years......originally it was on the Speed Channel then NBCSN............and must say enjoyed it on NBCSN. Since ESPN has taken over, agree that if you don't record it, it's a plus that you can stream everything on ESPN3 at your leisure. However, am having issues over the commentators; the Sky Sports team speak so fast and with their accents they are at times extremely hard to understand. (Yes, I know, you can CC it!) Really miss Steve Matchett's expertise when it comes to the cars.........(David Hobbs not so much!).

veryoldschool likes this.
  10. phodg

phodg Mentor

Jan 20, 2007
    Not enjoying the ESPN coverage as much as I enjoyed the NBC coverage.

nvsundevil likes this.
  11. nvsundevil

nvsundevil Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Nevada
    I tend to agree with you...........just not the same!

12. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Too many commercials on NBC. I'm surprised they don't cut to commercials while gameplay is going on for their EPL coverage.

13. noahproblem

noahproblem Legend

Aug 19, 2009
    Back in the late 70's and early 80's, ABC did cut away from action from NASL matches. As I recall, they even missed the winning goal in the first match they covered.