1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facemask?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Msguy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Anyone see the facemask on Aaron Rodgers in Overtime when Arizona supposedly ran the ball in for the winning touchdown? Why wasn't that called? :confused: Just for the record I am NOT a Green Bay fan by any means. Also during the game Arizona got away with many non calls.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Because the REFS were obviously wanting Arizona to win. There were several NON CALLS made which would have resulted in Green Bay 1st downs. I am totally disgusted. And I *AM* a Green Bay fan. Playing the same team 3 weeks in a row is BS in the first place.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    lol...Refs aren't why GB lost. The lack of D is why. AZ was not given anymore calls. Also, it was 2 weeks in a row and totally a fluke, not planned.

4. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    Agreed

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Also, the ball was fumbled. On a fumble, when no one has possession, you can not have a penalty.

6. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    The most interesting part was that no one was talking about it. Not the announcers and none of the sports shows that I justed tuned to mentioned it.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If someone was shoving their hand in my face, Id probably fumble too :)

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He fumbled before the facemask occurred. The defenders hand hit the ball, then on his mask with the same hand.

9. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Non issue.
    Green Bay lost. Pure and simple. Warner had a passing rating of 154.1; that's why Green Bay lost. Blame the defense. Not the refs.

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Wrong. The ball still belonged to Green Bay--it had not yet been recovered and possessed by Arizona; the penalty would have been a personal foul facemask against Arizona, permitting GB to keep the ball with a 15-yard penalty benefit and automatic 1st down.

Penalties occur quite often when the ball is fumbled, and the penalty always is assessed against whomever comitted it. There is no "limbo" period in which no possession exists. One team always has possession of the ball at a given time until the other team officially gains possession of the ball or relinquishes possession of the ball. On a fumble, the fumbling team has possession until the ball is recovered with control by the other team and the officials acknowledge this.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This is both an immature and emotionally ignorant remark.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was rooting for the Packers.. but I'm glad they didn't call a facemask on that.

Yes, I believe there were a couple of times that pass interference wasn't called when similar ones were called for the other team... but nothing really outstanding that made me say "that's why they lost".

The facemask happened after the ball had been fumbled (but while it was in the air) and was not a grasping but rather just the defender's hand making momentary incidental contact. Yes, they could have called it... but to have a call like that decide the game would have left a sour taste in my mouth even if it helped the team I was rooting for win.

Probably the non-call that bothered me most was a helmet-to-helmet Arizona defender hitting Rodgers on a play late in the game. He wasn't hurt, but that's the kind of call they've been making about 95% of the time this season, so I was looking for consistency.

BUT... all that said... Neither team really played any defense to speak of... so while it was a FUN (repeat FUN) game to watch... the fact that Arizona won on an actual defensive play seems fitting to me rather than having the coin-toss determine the outcome when neither defense had been spectacular to that point.

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I could of swore certain penalties can not be called during a fumble...holding & clipping are two.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He did kind of grab his mask. lol

[​IMG]

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Remember, too, that the incidental 5-yard facemask penalty was removed from the NFL rules. Consequently, when a facemask occurs and a flag is thrown as a result, the penalty is a personal foul and 15-yard assessment. The rule change does not stipulate that an incidental facemask is ignored; however, I do know that an NFL official will now not throw a flag on a facemasking attempt if he believes the offender was not trying to actually grasp and pull the facemask.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    After seeing calls all season long, where players bumped the quarterbacks helmet, the lack of two calls where Rogers obviously had his head hit (one helmet to helmet), the other (hand to helmet) seems rather omittant. With the defense I saw from Green Bay, they deserved to lose. New Orleans could have beat either team tonight, if they brought their defense along. Should be an interesting weekend coming up.

17. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    In the history of the Packer's franchise, according to their "fans" (that's a generous word for the worst sports people in any city in the country), the Packers should have never lost a single game. There is always some lame excuse, the refs or some conspiracy about the NFL fixing games. Its so fricking comical.

You lost.

Get over it. Accept it. Eat some cheese.

18. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    See where the ball is? Fumbled, out of possession, anything goes basically until possession is established.

19. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Because Troy "Hate the Cardinals" Aikman was choking on his own bile trying to figure out while all his cheering for the Packers during the game and attempting to will them to a win didn't work. He was speechless. Which is a good thing when it comes to him. Watch they'll have him "impartially" do the Cowboys v. Vikings game next week.

20. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    We've already covered this. You are absolutely, totally wrong. Possession still belongs to the Packers, for the ball has not been officially retrieved yet by Arizona. There is no such thing as "anything goes" as you somehow mysteriously believe. A facemask penalty is a facemask penalty regardless of when it occurs.