Failed installing a new dish.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by necron99, Jul 14, 2020.

1. necron99

necron99 New Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Hello, I am a new member but long time DirecTV customer.

TLDR - I cannot get signal lock while aligning my new dish.

I am currently using a Slimline Dish with a SL5 LNB. It is mounted on the fascia on the back corner of my house, which happens to be the lowest point of the roof. It has been there for 21 years (second dish, same location). And unfortunately it is now pointing directly into my neighbors tree which has grown over those 21 years. I now get frequent dropouts and 771 messages. Wind or rain take me out completely.

I ordered a new Slimline Dish and SL5 LNB, so that I could mount and tune the new dish, and then cut over to using it. I am mounting it higher on the roofline 30 feet over from the current dish. This gets me past the tree. I have to use the actual roof because the side of the house with the correct facing is all gutter down the side.

We mounted the mast and it shows dead center on the bubble level. So we started trying to tune it using an AIM 2.0 meter. No matter what I do I cannot get signal lock.

The meter said I needed 225 Azimuth, 39 Elevation, and 64 Tilt. In that position with minor adjusting the meter gives me -21 constant with -17.2 peak. In the AIM manual and in example videos I watched all show signal locked at lower readings. Any adjustments I make drop the signal. I have not moved on to trying to use the fine tuning to dither because it appears I need a signal lock for that.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? I have not taken the DirecTV training as I am not an installer and it is not available to me. I must be missing some step.

Thanks for the help.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Don't trust the bubble level, they aren't all that accurate. Get a post level or use a torpedo level. If the mast isn't plumb you will have a hard time tuning the dish. Did you simply swap out the dish from one mast to the other? If so, and the first mast isn't plumb then you will have to readjust the settings on the dish.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also make sure you're not making the common mistake many do when setting the elevation...

Where you are to actually use the elevation indicator located on an edge to one side of the elevation bolt. And not what you estimate is the geometric center of the elevation bolt.[​IMG]

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

4. necron99

necron99 New Member

Jul 13, 2020
    I was using that bubble level. I will purchase a post level and check it.

I did not reuse the old dish. I purchased brand new so that I did not leave myself without service in case I failed the install.

Thanks.

5. necron99

necron99 New Member

Jul 13, 2020
    I did make that mistake originally. The directions paperwork that came with the dish did not describe what indicator to use for elevation, and it was not obvious the way the tilt was. We figured that out quickly once we started trying to peak the dish. We switched to the edge which is what brought me to the -17.2. I thought that solved my problem but I still did not get lock.

Thanks.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ok ...

Just to verify that all is well with that AIM meter and that it's reporting accurately.

When you hookup a receiver to the dish, what so the signal levels look like anyway with the dish positioned for maximum output as reported by the AIM?

And while I hope this is not the case, but any chance that dish reflector may have been bent or otherwise damaged?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk