Failing Drive and Signal Unstability

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bmcleod, Jun 17, 2016.

1. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    For some time we have had a very erratic picture, most notably on one of our Joeys, however it also regularly happens on the Dish App for iPad. The sound drops out, the picture freezes, it stutters and pixilates. It can be very frequent say every minute, I would compare it to what happens during a severe rain storm. Our dish has an unobstructed view. I tried calling Dish Support but their menu driven support won't help if I can't reproduce the problem while they're on the phone. We had none of these problems with our VIP622.

Last night we lost all signal to the Hopper for several minutes, finally it came back with a message that the Hard drive had failed and to unplug, wait 10, watch live TV. It took two tries but it finally came back, but no DVR :( lots of material on there.

This morning the stuttering is back, but so is the hard drive, the DVR, and all our programming. :)

I will try to attach a USB drive and copy our favored programs, but plan on calling Dish Support. I'm not looking forward to this, and I would like to solve the stuttering as well as (probably) trying to get a replacement Hopper. Should I try to get a Hopper 3, would it be helpful with my upcoming UHDTV purchase? How can I get help with the stuttering if it's not happening when I call?

Thanks for any advice, I've been away from here for some time but see it's still an active place (I see I signed up just over 10 years ago!)

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    definitely you should go for h3 if your new UHD TV is coming soon

1 person likes this.
  3. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Well they got another $8 a month out of me, but I'll get a new Hopper 3 and two new Joeys. I'm hoping the installer might tweak the dish a bit and get the signal strength up as well. The Hopper crashed again today, but eventually the drive came back – it's backing up now so I'll be ready to transfer my material over to the new H3.

4. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Struggling to get the hard drive content backed up. Several more crashes, some series fail while copying, patiently trying one program at a time, hopefully we'll get most of it. Certainly glad the H3 shows up Monday. Does the Hopper not use S.M.A.R.T. drives?

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    all SATA drives are SMART capable since the millennium begin for sure; yes e* DVR's FW handling conters and flags from pulled SMART values
    question is - WHO (outside e* SW Dept) KNOWS how they processing it ? - no one :(

6. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Right, either they need to let you know your drive's failing, or the Hopper itself should alert you, which makes much more sense. I looked through the diagnostics but couldn't find anything on it, but had trouble in some places scrolling through the counters.

The appointment to get the new units on Monday seems even further away, now I can't connect with the Dish app. Oh the horror, I can't watch TV on my iPad in bed! :0

7. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    So the installation went well, the installer began by changing out the LNB and tweaking the dish adjustment, then he swapped out the switch and reterminated some of the cables. The H3 went in easily and looks noticeably better than the Hopper, the installer even commented how much better it looked than most of the installs he does. The Joey 2's also went in without a hitch and look great.

When he left I redid the devices and activities in my Harmony Ultimate Home remote which controls the system with the Hopper. Telling the Harmony software I have a Hopper 3 worked perfectly, the commands in the database installed properly and the Harmony remote as well as the iPhone / iPad app all work perfectly.

The Joey system was not so easy, telling my Harmony 900 I had a Joey 2 was a total failure, no commands worked. I tried to teach commands but learned the 52.0 remote doesn't do IR. Finally I tried telling the Harmony I had a VIP622 and that works pretty well, I just had to tweak a couple commands.

Most importantly the stuttering, freezing, and crashing are all gone; the shows I transferred to the external drive are also accessible. Very pleased with the upgrade!

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's good to hear. Always love it when an install goes well! For what it's worth, all of my Dish installations (I've moved a few times) have gone well.

1 person likes this.
  9. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    One last note on the Harmony 900 and the Joeys. As I noted above telling the Harmony I had a Joey 2 didn't work, it knows the model, but the codes don't work. I've now found that telling it I have a Joey works for all the Joeys (Joey, Joey 2.0, Joey 4K).