1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failing Hard Drive, New GUI or ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by etexlady, Jul 2, 2018.

1. etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    I have been having problems with recorded programs "freezing" and I'm not able to do anything about it but push the red button and let it reboot. But, when I push the red button the genie proceeds to record full seasons of shows I have in the series manager to record "first run only". OK. I try to delete those recordings and the box freezes again. Happens if I try to delete only one program or if I try to delete multiple recordings at one time. The Genie is a HR44-500. Any suggestions?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    First run the system test and see what errors it gives and post the numbers for them.
    My HR24 is, Menu, settings and help, settings, info and test, Run System Test.

Constant freezing and stuttering are signs of a bad hard drive.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    to test HDD - reboot DVR, in first 30 sec of booting press and hold Select on front panel, follow a menu items

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Do what Jimmie suggests, you need the error message to convince a CSR you need a replacement. How full is your HDD? Is that the original HDD that came with the 44? From what I can glean from your OP it might be the HDD or the 44 itself. Have you considered an eSATA device to bypass the internal HDD?

Rich

5. etexlady

etexlady AllStar

Oct 21, 2007
    I did the "system test" that one can access in settings. The only error reported is I did not have a phone line hooked up to the genie. I did a "refresh receiver" from the Dtv website. That seemed to help somewhat. After another reboot I was able to delete the recorded programs that I did not want without any freezes or other problems - so far so good. My HDD is about 50% full and it is the original HDD that came with my genie. I have the protection plan that allows me to get new equipment every two years. I may just binge watch what's recorded and then call to see if I can upgrade.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If it freezes again,
    try this to see if it helps.
    Do a Smart Search for CLEARMYBOX and then let it go to work. It is similar to a reset but clears out more data. It does not change your settings or erase any of your recordings.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I gave you specifics to invoke internal tests include HDD DST.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Try the CLEARMYBOX thing as Jimmie suggested, that might help. In any event it's not gonna fix a bad box and that's what it sounds like. You do realize you can get a replacement for the 44 without incurring the two year commitment? You just have to make a case for a bad 44. Send me a PM if you don't understand.

Rich