1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fair price for an owned h24?????

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by andy A, Jun 18, 2013.

1. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in so mods please move if necessary.

My basic question is I'm looking to replace my aging Sony a2 due to the lack of future support and do not want to go under contract again. I can get an owned h24 for 125 does this seem to be reasonable?

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Seems like a good deal to me. I would expect the price to be higher than a subsidize HR24 provided by DirecTV. The fact that it does not carry a commitment, is enough to raise the price. I recently sold an iPhone 4 on eBay for $300 easily. Make sure to contact DirecTV access card department to confirm ownership status of this HR24

3. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Except that the OP specifically mentions a H24 when you keep saying HR24 (DVR), I would agree. i would think $100-125 is probably a fair price for a owned H24.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Except that the OP specifically mentions a H24 when you keep saying HR24 (DVR), I would agree. i would think $100-125 is probably a fair price for a owned H24.

Right, the point remains the same though. I would expect an owned receiver to be priced considerable higher that what DirecTV advertises

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not all board members are really looking to make a buck off their old equipment.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    is not about making a buck, but asking for a fair market value.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you are staying with Directv for 2 years(I've been with them for 17), they have very little value as they will under most circumstances just give it to you.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If I were to sell my H25 here, I probably wouldn't ask much for it. Now, if I had an owned HR44, very different considering the rarity and demand for even a leased one.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If I were selling to a friend or to someone I closely know, then I can be more reasonable. As I said, I was very surprised to be able to sell an iPhone 4 for $300. it was an auction BTW, so the "public" set the price. I just collected.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, if his receiver is going obsolete because of the old guide data shut off, they should swap out for a new receiver without adding a commitment to his service.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Um, if his receiver is going obsolete because of the old guide data shut off, they should swap out for a new receiver without adding a commitment to his service.

But he would get an SD receiver. Apparently the TS wants an upgrade without the commitment

12. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks all for the suggestions, but definitely not wanting to go back under contract, I am just not a fan of them. I have been with Direct since the DTV\USSB days and I am probably not going anywhere else anytime soon.

Yes D would replace the A2 free of charge but only with another SD box and I have purchased an HD tv to replace the SD TV that the A2 is hooked to so I wanted to upgrade the box to an HD box and if I do that through D it will include a new 2 year contract so owned box would be the best option for me. A DVR is not required just a plain old HD box will suffice. The 125 includes the shipping.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you are not going anywhere then what's the difference if you end up in a contract and get the thing it free?

14. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    Everyone has their preference, and I just do not like contracts such as D's
    PS nothing is ever truely free........ :righton:

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Since it hasn't been addressed yet I will ask, do you already have hd service? If not, you can't add an hd box unless you are in an mpeg4 locals area.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since it hasn't been addressed yet I will ask, do you already have hd service? If not, you can't add an hd box unless you are in an mpeg4 locals area.

While you have a valid point, they way it was delivered it was kind of poor. The TS can indeed add an HD receiver regardless of the market. The TS will need at least an HD dish and HD service if they want to get HD channels.

17. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    Yes already have HD service. I have an HR20-700 from way back in 2006 that is now on its' 3rd hard drive but it still keeps on ticking and a HR22-???.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Everyone has their preference, and I just do not like contracts such as D's
    PS nothing is ever truely free........ :righton:

So its strictly you don't like the idea of contracts as to why you would rather spend the money instead of getting it for free. And free means no dollars, but yeah, there's a commitment you won't leave for two years. Not something I see as a big deal, but I get your preference. Personally I only find owned receivers to be helpful if you like to activate and deactivate extra rooms, based on having guests over or something of that nature. Otherwise its more expensive to go the owned route, and I spend enough on programing.

Just make sure you get the rid number of any receiver your purchasing and call the access card dept and make sure it will be free and clear and able to be added to your account. Better to check before you pay for it then after. ;)

19. andy A

andy A AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    inkahauts,
    I appreciate your input immensly as a long time member here with alot of knowledge, but I do not want to get into an debate about contract/no contract or free/not free, as I mentioned prior everyone has their preferences and nothing in life is truely free. Even though I have been with D for a very long time doesn't mean that I maynot have to cancel service tomorrow and I do not want an ETF hanging over my head. I never know what tomorrow may bring.

I too have spent a fortune with D over the years carrying the premium package.

Thank you for the heads up on the RID. The seller provided it without asking so I need to give D a call and make sure it is clear.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, some people don't want a contract so that if their situation drastically changes, like a layoff they have more options, not just suspending the account. I also know someone that feels that being under contract means he would be in debt to DirecTV and doesn't want to feel that he owes a company something other than a monthly fee.