1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake signal loss? (722k)

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Steeloc15, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    I am having a problem with my 722k where it keeps telling me that the satellite signal has been lost. (129/31) My signal strengths seem to be within the same range that they have always been. The funny thing is the picture will come back immediately if I hit the menu button. This leads me to believe that it's not a signal issue, but an issue with the actual receiver. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    Steelo

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    You must have the OTA module in your 722k.

The problem is caused by a weak/unreliable ota channel.

The solution is to make sure you are tuned to a strong OTA channel before switching to watch a satellite channel.

3. tthomps

tthomps Mentor

Jul 17, 2004
    I had a similar issue this morning around 3 am. I have a 722. Because of remodeling, I recently took down my antenna and removed all of the OTA channels from my lineup. I suspect it was just early morning work by Dish.

4. BarryG

BarryG Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    This happens to me often. Already replaced my MT2. My weakest OTA signal is 89 so I assume this shouldn't happen, but it does. PITA

5. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    I do have the OTA add-on but that isn't the problem. The problem occurs when I'm watching non-OTA channels.

6. Steeloc15

Steeloc15 AllStar

Oct 1, 2009
    Oh wait, I just understood what you were saying n0qcu. So since the OTA tuner is losing signal there is a bug that makes the receiver think that it has lost the sat signal too?

7. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    That's it and very annoying.

8. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    I just want to chime in as having the same problem. 722k with OTA module. I live 30 miles from all the OTA towers and generally get 100% signal on all stations. I would prefer to watch and record from the OTA stations but do to the "loss of signal" issue, I try to make sure all my recordings are done using the locals through satellite.

Strange thing is last night, for the first time, I experience the "loss of signal" issue when watching regular satellite channels. I probably happened 5 or 6 times and was a real PITA!

9. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    With the Vip722, revision L629 seems to have helped. I rarely get the "loss of signal" message, except on known weak OTA channels.

I try to remember to tune last to a known strong OTA channel, and then tune to SAT.

I am 48 miles away from most of the stations, and I am using a homemade indoor 4-bay bowtie http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2449899#post2449899.