1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family robbed after teen posts photo of money on Facebook

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, May 30, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  2. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Another valuable lesson learned the hard way.

3. Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Good idea to cure a boring evening...
    A camera, a stack of fake benjamins, Facebook, a shotgun, and a bottle of whiskey... :D

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another reason why I'm not on FB.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'll go further. This is the reason I never use the Internet.

Oh, wait...

6. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    when are people going to learn that what you put in the public view matters.... geez

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    People will never learn that lesson.

The urge to hop up on something and scream "look at me" trumps just about every other urge it seems.:nono2:

I remember as a kid my father making a point of always telling me not to let friends know if we were going out of town on a visit. Not because he didn't necessarily trust my friends... but because who knows where else that information might go until eventually someone not trustworthy knows you are gone on a trip and won't be back anytime soon and are ripe for a break-in.

Another similar lesson was to not make a habit of bragging about having lots of stuff. Again, friends can only be trusted so far if they tell someone who tells someone and so forth... so probably not a good idea to give the impression that there are riches to be found in your home either.

8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I make it a point to tell everyone that posts pictures to NOT tag me. Having worked with a gov't clearance my whole life, it's been drilled into my head thousands of times the consequences of public TMI!

9. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I tend to think that stories like this are a bit misleading and meant to scare rather than actually report anything. There are probably many aspects of the event that are not included in the article. Kind of like "I killed my dog" but actually my dog was sick and needed to be put down. That sort of thing.

I agree that caution should be placed on what is posted online. I also tell my kids to never post when we are on vacation... but I also think that the horror stories are a very small percentage. People post stupid things online all the time but nothing ever happens for the most part.

I think being paranoid all the time only raises your blood pressure and makes life a living hell.

Taking basic steps of personal security is a good thing but Facebook is the least of our problems. There are far more drug addicted punks on the streets that will randomly pick your house and rob you blind.

10. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    The horror stories are very rare, and sometimes the victim has done something (like posting information on Facebook or hanging out with the wrong people) that contributes to the situation. On the other hand, some people are true victims and no one wants to have that unfortunate experience. Bad things do happen to good people.