1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan sues Apple over Breaking Bad season pass in iTunes

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by dpeters11, Sep 13, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Mods, I wasn't sure where this should go, didn't seem to fit in AppleTV. Move if necessary.

So it seems that people bought a season pass for Breaking Bad season 5, but while AMC calls what is airing now "Season 5 part 2", Apple is considering it a new season.

I usually don't care for class action lawsuits, but I think this one makes a case. The plaintiff is asking for damages totalling $20.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/angry-breaking-bad-fan-sues-deceptive-apple-over-itunes-season-pass/

This involves Apple, but I think the other providers did something similar.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yeah, this has come up before with some other shows. The suits or threats of them haven't gone anywhere so far.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Maybe that's why I avoid digital, other than Amazon Prime content and Netflix.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's more like on AMC. However, the dippy dude in Ohio got all of Season 5, all 8 eps. He expected that The Final Season (now on) was part of Season 5. A natural mistake.

At least that's how I expect his lawsuit will end up.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think AMC has brought this problem upon themselves... because they decided to split what was to be the final season, 5, in half and broadcast it separately... and release it separately on home video... but internally they aren't calling the final season, season 6... they are still considering it part of season 5... but then they didn't sell it on iTunes as "part 1" so while I'm not lawyer-sue happy, this one might have some legs.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, on AMC's website, they are saying Season 5 episode 14 is next. But everyone else is calling them separate seasons.

7. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Is there any precedent they can use for comparison. Shows where seasons are usually split with a hiatus that lasts for months like Doctor Who, Hot in Cleveland, Switched at Birth, Degrassi and Power Rangers? If the season pass includes the full season for them they might have something.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, in any event, the guy who is suing is because he's p.o.'ed or wants his name in lights. Economically, paying the extra few bucks is way cheaper than filing a lawsuit, unless you value your time at 0.

9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The precedent set for those shows, was to have "Season X, Part 1" and "Season X, Part 2"... so you knew up front that you were only paying for half a season... it doesn't sound like Breaking Bad was originally sold that way for the most recent season.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And looks like AMC is doing the same thing with Mad Men.

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It was good to see Apple stepping up on this one. I think it was AMC's fault, but it is nice to see Apple willing to take the hit for it to keep customers happy.