1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Forward (Slippage)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Warhammer, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Since last week, I noticed that when I fast foward (any speed) and stop, the recorder will jump back about 8 seconds rather than playing from the point I stopped.

This is a return of an issue I had with an older DVR from DirecTV that was not HD. When I upgraded to the HD DVR in February I noticed it stopped on a dime.

Was there a tweak done overnight that I was not aware of or is this something to expect from all of the DirecTV DVRs when they age a few months?

2. jrlaw10

jrlaw10 AllStar

Feb 2, 2007
    The latest update adds an "Autocorrect" feature. I found it annoying as well.

You have to access the "Cutting Edge" menu to deactivate.

Seach in the forum for "IAMANCUTTINGEDGE" and you will find instructions on how to proceed.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

There is a hidden menu that will allow you to turn it off if you don't like it.

Press menu-->search-->keyword-->type "IAMANEDGECUTTER"-->continue-->all-->when it finds nothing press and hold menu and info button on the front of the unit together for 2 seconds and let go then a the hidden menu will pop up. Then you can turn it off.

4. digibob

digibob Legend

Dec 1, 2005
    You must have great reflexes to stop in the right place each time.:) That was one of the features I missed from my TIVO. I'm glad they put it on the HR 20. I never could stop it in the right place.:rolleyes:

5. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    u can also hit the "menu" and "info" buttons on the front of the unit to bring up the menu to turn auto correction off

6. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    but only after searching for IAMANEDGECUTTER at least one time

7. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Yea, I have become quite proficient at it over the years. Especially when watching football games where I do not want to wait for them to huddle and listen to silly banter. You can watch an entire game in less than 90 minutes if you're persistent. :)

8. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Thank you all for your help! Awesome!!

9. Sep 2, 2007 #9 of 20
    Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Crud! I noticed the autocorrect thing is back and I tried the edge cutter thing and now it is not working. I don't understand how it worked fine the first time I tried and now I cannot access that hidden menu.

Should I do some sort of reset on the receiver and do a fresh search again?

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    There is now no option to switch off autocorrect - just like TiVo. Several people have complained in the forums they would like the option to switch it off but I do not know if this will be done.

11. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    I think they should give you an option to turn off the "back up" on the 30 second advance, as you can use the 30 second advance to time through the commercials. Now, I end up with the last 8 seconds of the last commercial.

On the regular FF, I can understand the backup as you are essentially relying on your reflexes (or you should at least be able to input how much of a "back up" you need, for those that have better reflexes).

12. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    I just tried to find the hidden menu and the only thing I have in the Misc. Options is to tweak the Playlist Sort. What am I doing wrong? THanks

13. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    They apparently turned it off so as to force us to watch at least the last 8 seconds of a commericial. I wonder what kickback DirecTV got from advertisers for putting this tweak in (or actually turning off a function of their equipment to not allow us full control of how we watch TV)?

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There was no kickback. I don't know why the option was taken away but I can tell you it had nothing to do with advertiser kickbacks, period.

15. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Okay. Would it not be good customer service if they just came out and said that they are taking away that option because of 'x' reason. I never heard from anyone that they were planning on removing our ability to control how we watch TV.

I'm just saying the option to have that control was hurting no one (except advertisers...or at least 8-12 seconds of them).

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The back-up is occuring because you're stopping the ADVANCE prematurely by hitting PLAY. Stopping any FF motion (ADVANCE, FFX1,2,3,4) by hitting PLAY will trigger an AUTOCORRECTION. If you just let the ADVANCE terminate naturally, you'll see there is no "back-up".

When you stop one or more stacked ADVANCES by hitting PLAY, your reflexes come into play the same as if you were stopping a FFX3 by hitting PLAY, so AUTOCORRECTION in this case is appropriate, IMO.

Moral of the story? Let the ADVANCES stop by themselves, and you will see no AUTOCORRECTION. :)

/steve

17. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    I don't agree because when I hit the advance button and it goes too far, I would have to back it up a bit. Without the autocorrect I can nail the last second of the last commercial eveytime. PLUS when I watch football I zip past those boring huddle and pointless commentaries and just watch the action of the game. I can blow through an entire football game in less than 90 minutes.

With DirecTV eliminating my ability to turn off autocorrect, I cannot do those simple things. What is to stop DirecTV from eliminating the ability to fast forward at all?

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think I get it. It sounds like you're using ADVANCE instead of FFX3 as a way to avoid seeing any AUTOCORRECTION period. In other words, if you had the option to turn off AUTOCORRECTION completely, you probably wouldn't care if you were using FFx3 or ADVANCE.

If I have that right, I understand your issue. Unfortunately, unless D* makes AUTOCORRECTION optional, you're probably not gonna be happy. I don't see another workaround that will get you where you want to be. Sorry. /steve

19. Warhammer

Warhammer Mentor

Jul 30, 2007

A big Snoopy "Blllaaahhhhh!!!" :)

Hopefully they will switch it so I can turn it off or on whenever I choose.

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You could try this. Use single ADVANCES, and let them terminate without hitting PLAY. You won't get any AUTOCORRECTION. If you go one ADVANCE too far, just sit on the REPLAY key. Might help. /s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.