1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fast forwarding question

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by userfromatl, Sep 9, 2017.

1. userfromatl

userfromatl New Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Has anyone recorded a live sporting event from ESPN or other channel on a streaming service DVR, and then tried to FF thru the commercials? Does it work, or are you forced to watch the commercials? The thought of having to sit thru a 3+ hour game doesn't excite me.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I haven't tried sports but I give up very quickly on any content that makes me watch commercials.

Rich

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I cant say anything about ESPN but FS2 on Sling I was able to FF through commercials. I would just try it out, none of the streaming services lock you into a contract. Some even have free trials

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh good, I have questions. I have seen the Sling interface but the folks couldn't answer my questions about the cloud DVR (is there a cloud DVR?) and about the channels I need, WPIX (NYC local), YES, Fox, FS1, ESPN. I know I could look all this up and I've done that, done it with several providers and I'm confused. How long does the cloud DVR hold programs?

Rich

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The cloud DVR will keep programs indefinitely until you run out of space which I believe is 50 hours. I say believe as some of what I know may be outdated, I only use Sling for the 5 month Supercross season (Jan - May) You can flag a show to keep until I delete. To get ESPN and Fox you will need the "Orange plus Blue" package and for WPIX and YES you will have to go to their website and plug in your zip code. They do offer some locals and some RSNs so there is a possibility.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx.

Rich

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I don't like commercials either but if I'm watching a live event with commercials I keep a book, magazine, or newspaper handy, hit the mute button, and read or talk to my wife during these breaks. Sometimes it's interesting to look at the commercial and try to guess the sponsor's name. Once in a great while the name doesn't show up until the last few seconds. I cannot remember ever buying anything as a result of a TV ad and I've had a TV back when there was no mute button on the remote. Heck, our first TV didn't even have a remote -- 7-inch RCA set with black and white picture, cost $250 in 1948.

Rich likes this.