1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty B-Band Converter on HR-20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Eric The Red, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    Is it possible that a faulty b-band converter could be interfering with my reception of local HD channels on my HR-20?

I removed the converters last night and it appeared to fix the problem, but I don't know if that's just random luck, or if the 2 are somehow related.

Also, when I check the signal strength on 103a and 99b, it will be good (90+) one minute and all 0's a few minutes later. Again, could this be b-band related?

2. Xing

Xing Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    Its possible that it is the BBC. There are a lot of things that could cause this issue. There are also a lot of problems that can come from a faulty BBC. If it continueoulsy works after removing the BBC then thats the problem.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    could be multiple areas - BBC, LNB, tuner, wiring.

You need the BBC's to properly receive the new HD channels, so it might be best to order replacements from DirecTV: http://directv.qrs1.net/bbc/bbcForm.jsp

It only takes a few days. If the problem continues, then the troubleshooting continues along with calls to DirecTV.

Do you have OTA diplexed into your lines?

Do you have the proper multiswitch if you're using more than 4 lines (Zinwell WB68 or WB616)?

4. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I had a faulty BBC replaced a few months ago. But it's hard to tell whether yours is bad or not if you say that the strength goes from the 90's down to 0 intermittently. I was able to verify mine because the signal strength stayed at 0, and I switched the BBC's between the two inputs and the 0 signal switched inputs. I guess even if it's intermittent, you could try switching the BBC's - but leave the cables with the same inputs so you can rule out the cables - and see if the input that's having problems switches.

5. Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    I've been trying to isolate the problem on-and-off for a few weeks now. Here's what I know. I will just randomly get grey screens that freeze up on my HD locals only (no other channels).

-- I do not have an OTA diplexed into the lines.
    -- I'm using a Zinwell WB 68 (properly grounded)
    -- It's not the cable, I have 4 lines running to the set and switching them around doesn't help.
    -- If I unplug the cable (from either the back of the receiver, the wall jack, or the zinwell) and then plug it back in, the picture typically comes back.
    -- It's not the HDMI. I used the component cables and that didn't help.
    -- It's not the receiver (a tech replaced that and the problem went away for 2 weeks, then came back)
    -- The satellites that appear to be the issue are 99b Transponder 2 and 103a Transponder 1. They will be signal strength of 90+ one minute and 0 the next. I have also had time where everything on 99b will be 0.

If it's not this BBC issue, I'm not sure what my next step is.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If it's not the BBC, cables or HR20, then about the only thing left is the LNB and multiswitch. Were the bbc's replaced when the HR20 was replaced?

7. Eric The Red

Eric The Red Mentor

Nov 6, 2007
    Oh yeah, it's not the multi-switch. I tried bypassing that a few days ago and had the same issue.

I'm not 100% sure if the BBC's were replaced with the HR20. I wasn't paying attention at that point. Thus, the current testing.

The fact that the new HR-20 worked for about 2 weeks afterwards is the most puzzling part. If the HR-20 was/is the problem, it would be INCREDIBLY bad luck that both units had the exacts same specific problem. If it wasn't/isn't the problm, why did switching it out fix things for a few weeks?

At this point, if it's not BBC, I think it has to be LNB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.