1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Channel Issues, will they ever get fixed??

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by StringFellow, Aug 18, 2012.

1. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Is Dish ever going to fix the Favorite Channel bugs?

I have contacted DIRT members based on my issues (others have posted issues in the past as well).

1. Favorite Channel edits must be done in even numbers. Change one channel and it does not save. Change two channels and they save correctly.
    2. Local channels disappear from Favorite channels in guide.
    3. Default Favorite Channel doesn't persist. Reverts back to My Channels.

Very frustrating and DIRT has yet to provide any update on the issues. Issues have persisted for months regardless of software updates and reboots.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The first two sound like glitches... but my understanding on #3... reverting to "My Channels" is intended behavior and not a glitch.

At least that is what I've been told regarding the 922, so I can only assume it is true for the Hopper as well.

3. homeron

homeron Mentor

Oct 16, 2007
    I agree 100 percent of the favorites issue it is a pain. I lose local channels on the favorite I created almost daily. I have called dish about this there are no answers other then it may be fixed in the future. reverting away from the 1 I set up to the 1 they what is ridiculous. the 722 k it always went to the favorites I created not the 1 who dish wants me to watch. the 1 that comes up shows you all the stations dish wants you to watch video on demand all the shopping networks all the ones that I do not want to watch.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    See below.
    I'm thinking repeating same action would finally give a result...

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have S221 and have three favorites lists: one left over from the Olympics that currently has five channels, one for NASCAR with six channels (to cover the six channels that carry races at some point during the year) and one with 35 Sirius XM channels.

I am able to add and remove single channels to these lists.

For those having problems, how many entries are on the list when you must add two more instead of one more? Is your Hopper on S221? Are you seeing this problem on a Joey and not a Hopper?

6. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I have the same issues with losing local favorites and having to add 2 channels at a time that other posters have. It's bad in one Hopper and OK in the other.

7. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    If reverting back to "My Channels" is intended behavior, what is the point of saving a Favorite Channel as a default. This issue is easily dealt with but the local channels that disappear is EXTREMELY frustrating. Add to that the issue of re-adding channels in groups of 2 or more is annoying. And the issue occurs on both Hoppers! :mad:

I wish dish would acknowledge the issue. Has the issue actually been added to list of bugs?

Maybe I will delete my Favorite Channel list, reboot the Hooper, and then recreate it.

The Joey works fine and the Favorite Channel persists, but the list is also a much smaller list of channels and the list does not include locals

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How are you saving the list "as a default"?

9. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    Yellow, 2, 1.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think James meant... how are you saving as a "default"? Assuming the Hopper is like the 922 and other Dish receivers, you can't set a default Favorites List. You can just select the current one to view. That isn't saving a default anything.

I don't pretend to understand why Dish wants this not to "stick" except to speculate that they want people to look at other channels and not just their Favorites List... but any time I ask Dish, the consistent answer I get is "by design" so I've seen no desire to fix this.

11. StringFellow

StringFellow AllStar

Jan 5, 2012
    On this screen you can select a Favorite Channel with the option to save on the same screen. To me that means I select my Fav Channel, save it, and it should not change.

But I think you are right, that the save option doesn't persist the settings. So why have a save option on that screen because at that point you have already saved channel edits???

But it still doesn't explain why my Fav Channel persists sometime multiple days before reverting back.

Bad design!

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It is probably mis-named... but in this screen "Save" refers to saving the change in selection. IF you go to that screen and select a different Favorites list, then Save, you will change to that list... if you cancel, it will go back to where you were (or at least it should).

It's a hodge-podge.

Originally I think the intent was to keep wherever you were "saved" after the overnight update... but at some point Dish decided they wanted to revert to "All Channels" instead.

So... actually, I think the "bug" is when it doesn't revert! Granted, you and I and probably 95% of Dish customers like it when it doesn't revert... but I think Dish would tell you that is a bug and it should be reverting every night :(

13. skriefal

skriefal New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I suspect it's more likely that there is some software issue or bug that would take too much effort to fix, so they've decided to reclassify the current behavior as "as-designed". It makes no sense to deliberately design the software with a Favorite Lists screen that seems to serve no useful purpose, or to reset the active favorites list at seemingly-random (or at least very poorly defined) intervals. As a software developer myself, I certainly would not design in such illogical and inconsistent behavior. I doubt that any engineer would.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It does save "the Favorites Channels list to display in the Program Guide" as noted at the top of the screen.

Probably after they got too many calls (on previous receivers) when people couldn't find their channels because they were in a favorites list and not the "My Channels" selection. We got that as a complaint on the forums as well ... people who select a favorites list (or have someone else in the household select one) and then wonder where their other channels went.

Agreed. If it is not reverting to "My Channels" it is a bug. The designed behavior (based on the 922 and prior receivers that have the same reset) is "My Channels".

If one would like to set their own default perhaps DISH will add that option as a feature?