FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, net neutrality ally, to quit

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Dec 15, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    His term expires on June 30, 2018, but according to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler is stepping down, setting the stage for a GOP majority on Trump’s first day:

This will likely assure no challenge to AT&T's not applying to its usage caps its own customers use of its own streaming services like DirecTV Now. That will open the door to Comcast and others.

Over the long term it could cost Netflix and its users dearly, "although it could take some time." This is, of course, a public policy matter that would affect the pocketbook of most Americans which makes it apparently of little interest to anyone. [​IMG]

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The winners in the repeal of Net Neutrality are the ISP's. Losers are the consumers.
    Once NN is repealed your ISP can throttle or block anything they choose. Its not Netflix anymore.
    Big business will be in control of what you do on the internet and they can mine your data meaning track every site you go to and sell that info.

3. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Or it could allow AT&T and others, perhaps even my lowly wireless ISP (not holding my breath, though), to cut deals with program suppliers like Netflix to locally cache programming to improve service to customers. Works both ways. At least now, ISP's will have the option.

camo likes this.
  4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

From an email I got today. Any subtext here one might read into the "Rules Free TV" phrase? [​IMG]

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per FCC Republicans Vow To Scrap Net Neutrality 'As Soon As Possible':

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    New Sheriff in charge.

See full article here: The FCC stops investigating carrier's 'zero-rating' plans