FCC moves to expand competition between Internet video and pay-TV

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by SayWhat?, Dec 19, 2014.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    FCC moves to expand competition between Internet video and pay-TV
    USA TODAY - ‎1 hour ago‎

In an effort to spur online video, the Federal Communications Commission plans to adopt rules that make it easier for Internet-delivered video services to compete with traditional pay-TV providers.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From an article when FCC Chairman offered this up in October:

It sounds good for the public. Now all the entrenched corporate interests have to weigh in.

3. grunes

grunes Member

Nov 13, 2013
    College...
    Comcast (or their parent company) already owns Hulu and NBC/Universal, and lots and lots of Internet and Cable broadcasters.

Given this potential rule change, it's time for them to buy Netflix, Apple, and a few others. (Doesn't Google, also offering its own broadband, already own Youtube?)

Then they don't really care if Cable TV almost dies.

I wonder if any of the big Internet streaming companies count on eventually being bought out as part of their business model.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Cable tv will never die, but it might change forms some.... at leas that is my take on all this. ;)

5. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I'm thinking the future of traditional cable tv will be strictly for live events like news channels and sports and ceremonies. But any other form of entertainment that is not live will be be for internet streaming only or possibly still on cable vod. I think in certain ways it could be good for the content providers to offer their non live content internet streaming only. They wouldn't have to deal with carriage agreements with the providers since it will all be online for anyone in any area to see all their content. They also wouldn't have to cut out or sensor their programming since it's not broadcasting live on a schedule they can still put in as many commercials as they want while not having to cut out anything since there's no schedule. They could have a lot more of their programming uncensored or make it the way they want since they could have more sophisticated parental controls and login's for adults only to view the content since it's the internet. I know the media companies know all this but they still don't want it this way because if it was this way they would have no way of forcing people to watch what they want them to watch like it is on traditional pay tv. People could chose anything they want at any given time and certain shows that these content providers put a lot of money and effort into may never get any viewership or as much as it could if it was on traditional tv since that's what would be coming on on that channel and that's the only thing you can watch. Also nothing is more reliable than traditional pay tv for watching live channels where as if you are watching it on the internet at a time with heavy traffic it may have to rebuffer which is something that never happens on traditional broadcast. Even if you have the best internet connection it is still not as reliable as traditional broadcast. I have mixed feelings on the future of pay tv since I like having a constant live channel always on and not having to chose every minute what to watch and can relax and not have to every minute use the remote or navigate through something. I just don't get the same feeling when using Netflix or Hulu on my roku on the tv as I do watching a regular channel. Sometimes people can be exhausted and just sit down and relax and not have to use brain effort to watch tv. I know I'm going on a little long here but I think about this all the time an have concern about it. Even though I'm still in my 20's I guess I'm old fashioned compared to everyone else my age as it will be hard for me to adjust to this new way of watching tv in the way future.