1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear and Loathing in my 721

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by garypen, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 5, 2004 #1 of 35
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Today's weirdness:

My 721 lost its RF output. (I use the RF out to feed the BR, Office, and Den.) Of course, it's the last place I look, thinking someone must have monkeyed with the splitter in the Utility Room, or maybe the RF amp went bad. Finally, I decide to connect the 721's RF output directly to the RF input on the HDTV. At this point, I see the boot up diagnostic screen. It rebooted by itself! Now, the RF output is working OK again.

Has anybody else lost RF output, even though the S/V/L/R outputs were working OK. Then, after a while, it just spontaneously reboots?

2. Aug 5, 2004 #2 of 35
    veith

veith Mentor

Jul 31, 2003
    Yes. I feed S-Video to monitor, composite to vcr, and rf out to the bedroom. My rf went out and short of anything else, started troubleshooting connectors. They all appeared ok. When I put the connector back in the 721 rebooted then rf out was ok again.

Best regards,
    Charles

3. Aug 5, 2004 #3 of 35
    garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Isn't Dish fun?

4. Aug 5, 2004 #4 of 35
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    My present tv just uses RF, and yes that has occured here.

I wonder how much tech support for these bugs costs E?
    ?

5. Aug 6, 2004 #5 of 35
    garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    I think Dish must have two core values in their mission statement:

1. Penny wise.
    2. Dollar foolish.

6. Aug 6, 2004 #6 of 35
    finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I also have had several problems since getting my 721 in 4/04.....amazing how many times a check switch OR reboot fixes them....I haven't had the Rf problem though.

Even with the problems, I like the 721 SO much more than my 508, and I have NO regrets about moving up from my 7100.

7. Aug 6, 2004 #7 of 35
    garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    I agree. I upgraded from a 510. My only regret is that DirecTV doesn't offer Superstations or TVJapan.

8. Aug 6, 2004 #8 of 35
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Welcome to DBSTalk hell! Bob Haller and Gary Pen having an issue with the 721.

9. Aug 6, 2004 #9 of 35
    garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Thanks for that insightful and helpful comment. I'll try your excellent suggestion. Oh that's right. You didn't make one. When you get a spare moment, if it's no trouble, would you mind terribly kissing my butt? Thanks. I'd appreciate that.

10. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Now come on, you can't put garypen in the same category as bob haller......BTW, I'm happy to see that Bob Haller has been making more constructive comments lately.

We're all just trying to provide information and sharing problems/solutions here aren't we???

11. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm almost afraid to post my issues with my 721. :D

I'm getting no DD audio. I get PCM fine, but DD does not work.

See ya
    Tony

12. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Have you tryed calling E* with these problems?

13. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Oh great. Now we've got to listen to Tony bash the perfect 721 too. This truly is DBSTalk hell! ;)

(I assume you know I'm kidding, Tony.)

14. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes. I called Dish. The answer I got can be summerized with the following quote:
    "duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

This was after 20 minutes of explaining that yes, the program was in DD. Yes, I was sure it was in DD. Yes I have the receiver in the DD mode. Yes, the audio amp is DD compatible. Yes, the DD Amp is hooked up correctly. Yes the DD amp is working propperly. the DD amp is working propperly, the DD amp is working propperly. the DD amp is working propperly. the DD amp is working propperly. the DD amp is working propperly. And YES IT WORKS WITH EVERYTHING ELSE! Yes I have an oprical cable hooked up and working and it is not (get this) "losing bits". I almost lost it. I figured it wasn't worth it. Other than this problem I love the 721. But just like my 7200 Dishplayer (that provides DD on the exact same programs on the exact same cable to the exact same DD amp--couldn't get that accross to the tech) it's a love-hate kind of thing. :)

See ya
    Tony

15. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Tony - I know you won't like this suggestion but,.... did you ask for ADVANCED technical support? I know a lot of people don't like them, but they have solved every one of the problems that I had or at least given me an explanation that was reasonable.

16. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Tony,

Is Dish aware of who you are and what work you do in your personal time to benefit the web community? It seems you should have access to the best tech available. Of course, it does sound like your box has an issue that can't be resolved aside from it being RMA'd. They should realize that if you can get PCM audio and you've selected DD output on the receiver the problem is in their box.

Good Luck...

17. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks Mike.

I prefer they DON'T know who I am. I don't want nor do I deserve any kind of preferential treatment. At the same time I do not feel beholden to them in any way either so I can pound on them with a clear mind whenever something is not right.

I agree that the problem may be in the box. But every time I send out a piece of equipment with a minor problem and have it replaced, the replacement is invariably plagued with a worse problem. The 7200 I got in return for the one I sent out because of the "locals mirror" problem has a lousy picture in comparison to the one I sent out. And it still has the same locals problem.

So...unless the receiver spontaneously combusts or begins to fold space around it forming a quantum singularity, I think I'll live with it.

See ya
    Tony

18. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    They fixed those two bugs in an earlier software update.

19. joebird

joebird Legend

Sep 15, 2003
    Tony - I'm only making the suggestion because it happened to me with a 7200 a long time ago : have you tried a different optical cable? I had one just go bad once, believe it or not. But my money is on a bad 721. ;-)

I'm thinking of upgrading a 508 to a 721. It sounds like you guys are mostly happy with yours, other than a (normal for Dish) bug or two. Would you actually recommend one? Also, do you know if a DP44+ (the new one) switch is required in order to split one run into two lines for the 2-tuner boxes? A local splitter (not the real name, and not a real splitter, I know) is also required. Are those available yet? Is the 721 software ready for them yet? I'm currently running two separate lines to my 921 with legacy LNBs, and would have to change switches, etc. I believe to change one of my 508's to a 721...

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yes, the DPP44 is the required switch to use the DPP Separator. Both are available now, and the 721 and 921 support them.

Another solution is the DPPTwin LNBF (which is NOT yet available). Because you are currently Legacy, you might want to wait for that - if you are only a 2 or 3 satellite user. The DPPTwin will drive the DPP Separator and therefore it's capable of feeding both a 921 and a 721 at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.