1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feature suggestion. Segment record

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tiger Tony, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I apologize if this is not the correct area to post this thread.

Anyway I can't find the "wish list" so that is why I'm posting this suggestion here.

I think it would be useful to have the ability to record segments of programs.

How about a "segment record button".

Example: You are watching the Today show which is several hours long and up comes an interview with, lets say... Peyton Manning. You want only to only record that segment of the show. It would be great to be able to hit a record button that starts at the time you press the button and ends when you press it to stop recording.

The way it is set up now, if you press record it runs back and records the entire show from where you first tunned in. It seems like it would be a very easy feature to add. But maybe I'm wrong...

So, my suggestion is for a "segment-recording-option".

I think many people would be in favor of this record option.
    What ya think?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Here's a workaround I use. If I know the upcoming segment is something I'd like to record, I dump the buffer by changing the channel and then back. Then I hit the record button. After the segment just stop the recording.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    That's a good suggestion!:)

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    A manual recording will do the job, but it's a lot more work than Spencer's suggestion.

5. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    I would also like to see a feature whereby the section you have watched gets deleted. For example, you've watched one and a half hours of a two hour movie, delete the one and a half hour section to free up space.

6. juraitwaluzka

juraitwaluzka Cool Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I would love to see the ability to mark a start/end point in any recorded program and save it as a clip, so I could save just the 5min I'm interested in showing someone else etc... instead of having to keep the whole program around forever.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    +1, I have wanted this feature for years on a DVD recorder that I have, as well.

8. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    I'm with you.
    From my point of view, it would be easiest to deal with after a recording has been made.
    I wish I could go to one point in a recording, pause it, and say "Delete the portion of the recording from its Beginning to Here"... and then go to a later point, pause it, and say "Delete the portion of the recording from Here to the End".

I believe this idea of "trimming" or "truncating" or "clipping" a recording was an item that got downgraded on the dbstalk.com Wish List due to lack of interest from posters here.
    However, I might be wrong about that.

9. jhindmon

jhindmon DBSTalk Club Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Agreed. This would be a nifty feature. Most of the time you can get around by the workaround above of swapping chans quickly, but then you miss a few secs of what you were trying to grab.

10. juraitwaluzka

juraitwaluzka Cool Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Only works when watching live TV which I rarely do, I almost exclusively record everything that I watch. Also, lots of time the stuff I might want to save, I don't even know it until I see it, by then it's too late, even if I were watching live.

11. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Funny, I posted something like this about three years ago and, I if my memeory serves me correctly, it wasn't received with open arms.
    I would like to see this feature, also.

12. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd love to see this as well.

13. Tiger Tony

Tiger Tony Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I'm the OP and I realize now that your suggestion is the better way to go. As another poster suggested it would be easier to deal with after the recording has been made.

As far as the "work around" by switching channels and then back. That would be a real PITA, for how could one know when a portion of the program that you wish to record and keep is coming up. Besides, channel changing is extremely slow and by the time you tune to another station and back again, you would miss many seconds of the program.

I'm certain that this suggestion would be very popular with many people. But we need one of the regular dbstalk "big-dog posters" to suggest and push the issue.

Maybe one of us should set up a poll and see what kind feedback and interest we get. If any of you guys feel comfortable wording the poll correctlly please go ahead and post it.