Feature Suggestion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Nov 22, 2017.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Not sure where I should post this, but since I am now running the HR44 (Genie) that offers P-in-P, found the need for a new feature or shortcut. In order to turn on picture-in-picture, one has to go to the info menu, go to the right end, and then turn it on. Seems like a lot of work to turn it off and on. In cases of watching 2 sporting events, for example, one may have the need to turn it on and off several different times such as during intermission or half time or even commercials when you want to keep the still-live game full screen whereas the other buffer's programming isn't showing game action.

A suggestion would be to use something like the left arrow button to be able to toggle picture-in-picture ON and OFF. This button's shortcut feature would ONLY be used for picture-in-picture. Ideas or suggestion? I have not actually found a real shortcut for turning off and on picture-in-picture without the multi-step method using the INFO screen and many button presses. Are these suggestions something that we can send in for possible incorporation into the Genie system?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There is no shortcut.

It’d be nice although they could never use the left arrow. That’s also the back button everywhere. Maybe select button or dash button.

But truth is it will never happen. You just have to go through the whole thing. Good news is I believe the left arrow should get you back to the menu faster once you turn it on.

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I know the left arrow is used for that, but was trying to think of something that can be used for this shortcut. If the left arrow was used, for example, the 'back' button feature could be superceded by the 'turn PIP on/off' function was my idea. Was just saying a 1 button shortcut for this would be very nice and save a lot of extra button presses.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think PIP days are numbered. Clients don't support it and Genie 2 is the future, so I would bet against them ever improving PIP.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    the go with dish/H3 and its "bar mode" of four channels on one screen

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Based on the specs for the C71KW, I think it may be coming back. It not only supports PiP, but also a four way split screen (like Dish's sports bar mode) except at the client. Doesn't mean Directv will utilize those capabilities, but why list them in the specs if it won't?

Maybe that's why the HS17 has 16 tuners but 4 are unused (1 for guide, 7 for regular HD clients, 4 reserved for bonded transponders when reverse band begins use)