FedEx Home Delivery - signature required?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mr. Furious, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    Hey, folks. I ordered an HR20/1 today (the best I could do was $99 :) ), and when I checked the tracking number, it said that the expected delivery date was 2/16, which is this Saturday. I thought it was odd that this was the case, as Saturday delivery, as far as I knew, cost extra. So I called FedEx, and they said that it was the Home Delivery service, which delivers Tuesday-Saturday. Weird.

Anyway, here's the thing. We're going to be out of town from Friday night through Monday evening, and I was wondering if receivers shipped via this method require a signature from the recipient. I'd prefer not to have it sitting on my front porch for three days; I don't live in an area with much crime, but I'd be much more comfortable if that didn't happen.

2. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA

3. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    I got one delivered about 10 days ago, and FedEx just left it at my front door. The delivery guy couldn't get back to his truck any faster. He virtually ran the doorbell and then ran away.

4. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I had a replacement receiver delivered last week and I never had to sign for it. The driver just handed it to me ad away he went.

5. vanthof

vanthof AllStar

Jan 19, 2007
    I've also had two replacements delivered in the past few months and neither required a signature.

6. NO1B4ME

NO1B4ME AllStar

Jan 29, 2008
    It all depends on your delivery guy. If he visits you allot he will just leave it. If not he will ask for a signature.

7. pacjag

pacjag Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    It also depends on the shipper. The delivery options can include "signature required" on delivery.

8. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    We get stuff delivered by FedEx, UPS, and DHL all the time. What we've gotten in the habit of doing is printing off a copy of the tracking page and then signing it on the bottom asking whatever delivery guy to please leave the package. So far so good. Obviously we don't put stuff on there like "we're going to be gone for 3 days so please leave the package". It also helps that we live in a guarded/gated community and there's a good place to leave packages on our porch without them being seen from the street.

9. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    I found my replacement one in a plastic bag on the side of my house in front of my garage doors last month, I have to wonder if he even went to the front door and knocked.

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I understand your concern, but the bottom line is that if he leaves it and it gets stolen, you're not the one responsible for it since you never took possession of it. Fedex will tell you this themselves.

11. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    FedEx Home Delivery drivers are sub-contractors, i.e., they do not work directly for FedEx. If the package is not insured and they leave the package and you don't receive it, then the driver has to pay out of their own pocket. The reason I know this is that I have lost packages (fortunately not DirecTV stuff) that were left at my front door. So some drivers will leave packages and some won't. A claim is a PITA to file and get settled. I gave them instructions not to leave packages but sadly they don't always follow my request.

12. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If you pay for a product and the company that you purchased it from can't prove delivery then it's up to that company to refund you or provide another product. Period.

It will be up to D* to file the claim and deal with it.

13. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    If you have a neighbor you're on good terms with just leave a note to deliver it to them. I've done that for some high-dollar items before.

14. Mr. Furious

Mr. Furious Legend

Feb 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like it's more likely than not that it'll get left at the front door, but the fact that it won't be my responsibility if it gets stolen makes me feel a lot better. As I said, it's highly unlikely it'll happen - I had a package sitting on my front porch for a week once when I was out of town - but it's still a load off.

Besides, if it gets delivered on Saturday, I can install it when I get home on Monday. :)

15. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Fedex Home delivers from Tuesday through Saturday. They don't deliver on Sunday and Monday.

16. TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You can get a form from FedEx that stipulates that you want packages delivered without requiring a signature. We have one and have never had a problem, but that also depends on your circumstances. Our house is the last house on one side of a cul-de-sac. It sits back farther than the other homes on the block and we border a canyon on the far side. You would actually have to walk up our front walk almost to the porch before you could see anything that was left on the porch. I received a package via UPS yesterday that was clearly marked "Signature Required" on the label, but we get packages so often from UPS that he left it anyway.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    This is an issue from time to time. Whenever a customer says they cannot be there to accept the shipment I suggest a note asking that the equipment be put in a vehicle on site or in a garage or out building...anything but the front door or on the porch.

For fulfillment work I have the stuff shipped to me and I bring it to the job; not always an option, however.

Joe

18. Capt'n

Capt'n Legend

Aug 23, 2007
    FWIW...

I have a family member that is a sub-contractor for FedEx Home Delivery and from what I've been told is that yes a driver may leave a package that is marked for signature, but they are not supposed to. Some will even sign for you just so they don't have to come back. They get paid per package delivered. So they get paid the same regardless if they deliver on the first attempt or the tenth.

Also...If you tell the delivery guy to go ahead and leave packages that require a signature, he's not doing it because you said he can. He's doing it because he doesn't want to make another trip back. The signature is so the SENDER has proof of delivery for which they pay extra for. It's not so the recipient doesn't get his stuff stolen.

I'd just leave a note telling him to go next door. If not, what's your address? :lol:

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    You're contradicting yourself - It's because the sender needs to provide proof of delivery if there's a question. Why else would they want a signature? For their autograph books next to Mickey and Donald's signatures? No, it's to prove that the recipient has received it. :confused:

20. chlorine

chlorine New Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I am a Home Delivery Contractor and have never seen a package from Directv that was Signature Required. I'm sure he will leave it at the front door unless you leave a note requesting otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.