1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FedEX looks better every day.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Piss poor video. I didn't see anything identifying the packages as fragile, and in half of the incidents, I can't even tell if it is a UPS delivery. One flung package looked like a padded envelope, and if it felt nearly weightless, it can be flung with impunity

I saw a "better" one on TV yesterday, where a Federal Express driver threw a sizeable computer screen - that had been shipped in its unwrapped, original display box packaging - flung over a seven foot fence that landed a lot harder than anything thrown in the above-linked video.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I hope you'll change attitude when YOUR PC monitor will be delivered by such way. :(

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I can say with some experience, UPS in my old location were some of the laziest delivery people I had.
    The driveway was a good 150' long and came down a hill. UPS would leave the package in the garage if I left the door open and sometimes even if I didn't. It was another 40 feet [two sides] to round the corner and come to my front door. "Half the time" it looked like when they did round the corner, they thought they were "close enough" to pitch whatever they had from there. Half of these times they only got it halfway to the porch.
    FedEx [ground or otherwise] always found the front porch along with the doorbell.
    "A good UPS" would merely find the porch.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I always try to pack things with the assumption that it will be dropped from 4ft (~bed of truck to ground). Unfortunately, even that wouldn't save the package in some of these instances.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Long, long, ago just after the pony express stopped :)lol:) I was watching and talking to some mail people, who were sorting.
    "Fragile" got pitched underhand, and if not marked, it was thrown overhand.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    This is how FedEx delivered my TV this weekend. The TV is damaged.

ForumRunner_20111227_154944.png

8. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
  9. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Not to excuse the UPS people in the video or the FedEx video mentioned by any means but many moons ago I worked several Christmas seasons in brown and pitching anything "pitchable" underhand was accepted while sorting on and off the trucks for the sake of speed. As for deliveries no, it was usually delivered to the door or someones hands. Most of these delivery people are good hard working people but there are always some bad eggs mixed in and with the seasonal employees much less training. Where I live now I have no issues with any of the delivery services, the only time things come broken is when it is packed totally inappropriately.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
  11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've had pretty good luck with both carriers, but now I'm waiting for a package that Fedex tracking shows is in Sacramento, CA and has been since 12/23. But it says it is on time for delivery this Thursday.

Driver better put the metal to the pedal!! :)

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Yeah, that's the one I saw! :eek2:

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I've had the good fortunate that every single UPS and FedEx package delivered to me has been placed immediately next to my door.

I happen to live on Long Island, so at least there are SOME good UPS drivers out there!

There's no excuse for these guys making 'remote' deliveries though...

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe I'm the exception here, but I am thankful that I can receive packages at work. It seems that the delivery people have more respect for packages delivered to businesses than for those send to residential addresses. Part of the reason is because I do not count on anyone being at home (and I really really do NOT want my mom waiting around more than once every occasionally to receive a package), part of it is to avoid valuable components being badly disguised by the front door mat saying "STEAL ME", and part of it is to avoid the package lobbing contests.

Because we are shut down this week, I had a package or two ordered from Amazon for delivery at home. Ontrac just dropped the package off without ringing the door bell.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It varies. Where my father in law lives UPS rarely arrives without packaging damage - in my town I have had no problems. He uses FedEx because of his UPS problems but in my town the FedEx driver is more likely to mark a package "not home for delivery" when he is behind on his route than even make an attempt to deliver.

I just wish that there was a place to go to get stuff that hasn't been thrown around ... but I've been in the stockroom of a store during the push to get stuff from the truck to the shelf (and out the door). Stuff happens.

16. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I guess living in the country still has some perks because both my UPS and FedEx drivers are incredibly nice and very conscientious. I have a rather large (3 +) acre yard I mow and I've had them both walk way out into the yard to get my attention while I was on the mower and they had something I needed to sign for. They know us pretty well and when my neighbor isn't home they will ask if we want to sign for and accept packages for them. I couldn't ask for better service from UPS, FedEx or FedEx Ground in my area, even the people in the local facilities are top notch. Sure I've had some packages arrive in less than stellar condition but every time it has the driver will bring it to my attention and tell me to double check the contents and report any damage.

17. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    It may be a local or regional thing but I've had consistantly good UPS service for many years -- and I I buy a LOT of things online (Amazon mostly) and EVERYTHING for Christmas via my Amazon Prime account. Almost everything comes UPS and I've never had any issue at all. All of my packages are left by teh front door unless a note directs the driver to the garage.

As I said, issues may be specific to a particular driver or a specific area.

18. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. The UPS drivers here have overall been pretty good. Same with FedEx. Sometimes they don't show up until 10pm but at least they get the packages to me safely.

My only issue with UPS is that you can't go and pick up your package at a local disribution center if you miss delivery. FedEx does that and I love it especially when I get iPhones and things like that.

19. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Same here Drew my packages are always on my doorsteps and I also live on Long Island.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Looks like they were behind a gate .. FedEx guy probably tossed it in a few feet so it wouldn't get stolen, but jeez, it seems like if he'd have taken an extra 30 seconds that there would be a way to gently get it farther in.

That being said, even if it didn't break, he threw it into the rose bushes (it seems). If the toss didn't get it, the sprinklers may have - double-whammy.