1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fees are 35% of my bill!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by welchwarlock, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welchwarlock

welchwarlock Legend

Jan 5, 2005
    I upgraded my leased 811 to a leased 622, and they piled on an additional $12 a month in "Fees". I now pay $30 a month in "fees" to support $55 worth of programming.

The Lease went from $5 to $6, I was told because it is a DVR the lease is higher,
    Then they added another DVR fee of $6 (I also have a 921), so I pay $12 for DVR fees, and they added a "HD Enabling Fee of $6" which I am told is waived with HD programming (except of course, for the 2 HD packages I already subscribe to)

If you go to their Website, and click "Residential Agreement" at the bottom of the page, you will see that it clearly states:
    "Equipment Rental Fee (monthly, per leased receiver) $5.00 "
    "DISH Network DVR Service Fee: $4.98 "
    There is no mention of an "HD Enabling Fee"

In order to get the guide data for local channels, you have to subscribe to the local channels, so i consider the $6 a month I pay for local channels a fee...I call it the "Guide Data Fee".

So I pay 2 DVR Fees, Lease Fee, HD Enabling Fee, and a "Program Guide Fee" all of which are $5.98->$6.00...Why some fees are 5.98, and some are 6.00 has me baffled.

As a "Cost Conscious" consumer Dish Network is sticking it to me in several ways with other HIDDEN FEES...because I am paying for my Top 120 package on an annual basis, Dish nework charges me $6 per month for the Local Channels/Guide Data...If I went month to month it would only be $5....so there is an extra $1 a month fee to help them reduce my discount.

Also because I buy my Top 120 Package Annually, and subscribe to all the HD packages that they will let me. I have to pay the "HD Enabling Fee". The HD Enabling Fee + Voom + the Dish Network HD Package costs $21 a month. If I went Month to Month, I would only pay $20 per month for these HD channels and I would actually get more channels. So there is another $1 a month fee to further erode my discount.

So I pay $24 a year in "Discount Cancellartion Fees" because I pay for the 120 package annually!

So for my top 120 package, when you break it down to monthly, I pay $34.83 + $2 "Discount Cancellation Fees" = $36.83 per month instead of 39.99 so I save 2.16 a month instead of 4.16 like they lead me to believe.

Absolutly Unbelievable!

WW

2. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Didn't I read somewhere that when you pay annually you pay for 11 months and get the 12th month at no cost? I could have sworn that was they way they worked that for those who signed up annually. though I could be wrong

3. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    I believe you are correct.

4. jwest

jwest New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    psaw! I'm on a $6/mo telephone plan with Verizon and my total bill is $19. That's right: $13 in fees and taxes on a $6 bill.

Unfortunately, I need this stupid POTS line for my Dish... .

5. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Welch,

First off you are not paying TWO DVR fees unless you have two DVR's.

If you add a 622 to your account there is a $6.00 lease fee, a $5.98 DVR Fee, $6.00 HD enabling fee (Only if you do NOT subscribe to the HD package), and $5.00 Phone line fee if you do not connect the receiver to a Phone Line. There is no such thing as the Program Guide fee.

So if you add a 622 to your account and add the HD package and connect a phone line the only fees you pay are the lease fee and the DVR fee.

Question if you are cost conscious then, "WHY DID DROP A PILE OF JACK ON AN HD CAPABLE TELEVISION ?"

I really have to laugh though, you are willing to drop a couple grand on a new TV and then complain about the fees from the Company you use to deliver content for that beautiful HD television.

If you subscribe to the Everthing package (NO DVR FEES) or better yet the HD Platnium package with a connected Phone Line you would only pay the lease fee of $6.00. Dish has the largest package of National HD channels of ANY provider.

John

6. welchwarlock

welchwarlock Legend

Jan 5, 2005
    Perhaps it is laughable. Yea, I spent $2850 for a 56" Sammy 1080p DLP... But I find it insulting that I pay a $6 DVR fee on both of my DVRs...a 921 and a 622... and if you check the boards, you know that neither one of them works worth crap. Last year they replaced my DVR 4 times. The 622 stutters, and drops audio, and the 921 locks up... daily reboots required...the 921 I OWN outright...but they charge me to use the HDD that is inside. I pay for $15 a month for HD programming and they charge me a "HD Enabling Fee" of $6 on top of that... Since they don't sell locals annually, they charge me more to buy them per month than people on the monthly plan...I just don't feel appreciated by Dish...Assuming I live until retirement, I have 30 years of fees or 360 more payments of $30 or $10,800 in fees to go... If I buy a new lightbulb for my sammy every 4 years, then I have $1,200 in bulbs + my $2850 investment....the fees are ultimately the cost driver here.

I was a VOOM customer prior to being a dish customer, and they had a larger selection of HD channels. They picked up the Voom originals, but do not carry all the movie channels, or national channels that Voom had. If Direct had the Voom channels, or a larger selection, I would probably switch...and be unhappy there...I originally had a 12' C band dish, and bought all my channels a la carte. That was nice... HBO was like $7, and the handful of other channels I wanted was about another $8.... Now I pay for about 135 channels, of which I only care to get about 12 of them....

7. robre

robre New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Maybe somebody can answer a question for me. I am considering purchasing a 622 down the line (I do not want the current HD channels, but am interested in the DVR and I get HD OTA). My question is on the HD enabling fee. For a purchased 622, can I get HD OTA without paying the HD enabling fee. It looks like you need to for leased 622's, but I cannot find anything on purchased 622's. It would seem kind of nuts for Dish to charge a fee to use a feature built into a unit that I would own. Anybody know the answer?

8. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Robre,

The HD enabling fee is to discourage you from NOT subscribing to Dish HD package, no HD package and you will be paying the HD enabling fee regardless of a lease or a purchase of the 622.

You can purchase a 622 but not from Dish directly. If you want to lease you HAVE to commit the Dish HD package for 18 months. Many retailers are selling 622's but be prepared to shell out about 650- 750 bucks for a 622 if you can find one.

John

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    In my town Comcast charges $9.99 per month for a DVR. i was thinking about switching, but not now!

10. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    and you get month 12 for free by signing up for your programming annually!

11. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    Doesn't VIOP work ? Or are you a cell phone only person ?

12. motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider Cool Member

Jan 8, 2005

I myself am on the fence of going back to dish. $9.99 per month for a DVR from a cable co with no upfront cost does not sound bad to me vs a $299 price for the ability to lease a reciever from dish then have to pay a $6.00 lease fee plus a 5.98 DVR fee for a total of $11.98 per month in fees. What has been keeping me with dish is the fact I like the guide and layout of the dishes recievers alot better than the Cable Co. in my area.

BTW I have not upgraded myself because of the fees and initial cost wich has led me to start looking around.

13. robre

robre New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    John, thanks for the reply. I don't know how they can get away with charging the HD enabling fee if a person ownes a 622. It is like buying a car and then having the car manufacturer charge you a monthly fee to be able to use the built in radio. Oh well, so much for being logical and fair. As to the price of buying a unit, I am considering that option because I am not interested in the HD channels Dish offers, but I would like a dual tuner DVR and HD OTA. To lease, it would cost me $299 up front, plus I believe $25 or $30 a month more than I am paying now. Over 18 months, that comes out to about what it would cost me to purchase one, even if I added the home protection plan after the 12 month warranty. Plus I would own it and have the option to sell it if I wanted to change receivers at any point.

14. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Remember that thing called "Over the Air TV"? It's still FREE.

But, the Cable and Sat companies would hope you have amnesia ;) .

15. Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx Legend

May 23, 2005
    What gets me to most is Dish's current attitude. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black as they denounce the cable pigs.

What ever happened to the customer focused Dishnetwork of the late '90's? As E* grew bigger and bigger they took on more and more of the "cable pig" attributes to where I believe they now have the most pork fat on the market. :nono2:

16. Opynion

Opynion Godfather

Mar 21, 2006
    E said, "stop feeding the pig", and Dish too became another pig, maybe we should stop feeding them too, :scratch: TCM is cheaper on Cable One of Odessa, Tx., but on Dish you have to pay more to get TCM on AT-120, Dish has become a pig themselves and they haven't realize it, or maybe they have, but they just don't give a damn :nono2:
    I hope Tivo screws them fine, so by that time I'll take a 622 without the DVR and it's fee's, then I will record on the DVD-R :rolleyes:
    and by the time the Tivo lawsuit against E is over, it would be great if the FCC forces the a la carte deal in some way, a few people won't like that, but who cares, many more people will like it and that is what counts. :cool:

17. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    so you are looking at a la carte in what, eight to ten years from now?

18. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Dish should charge one DVR fee per account and offer the regular HD package like Directv has for $10 with the VOOM channels being $10 also.

19. Opynion

Opynion Godfather

Mar 21, 2006
    Not really, someone who knows more said that a la carte would probably be reality within 3 years, and I say that with some luck we might have it sooner;
    people who don't want a la carte have nothing to lose, so they should stop fearing a la carte.
    a la carte will be great, even if
    they charge 35% in fees,
    at least people will be getting the programming they want for just about the same, even if they get less channels, it's better to have quality channels
    than quantity channels and still not having the only channels they really want.

20. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    personally I HAD: 2x311 and a 510. I've had the super-duper everything package so any DVR fees have been waived ($6 reg.). So not counting programming I was paying $10/mo "extra" for the 2 311's (would have been $16 w/o the 180 package).

I switched to a 622 (purchased outright from a retailer). BEFORE I bought it, I called dish and asked them every question under the sun. Maybe the indian woman didnt understand me the 3rd time I asked, but she said there would be no fees for having a 622 and NOT having an HD package (i specifically asked because of what I'd heard in this forum).

So I got the 622 and took a 311 and the 510 offline. That "saves" me $5/mo for the extra receiver. HOWEVER I then have to add the $6/mo "no-HD" fee (they call it an activation fee) so basically the 622 is costing me another $1 a month than what I had before the upgrade.

BTW - I decided to purchase it outright for a few reasons - with DISH lease I'd have to plunk down $300 plus $5/mo for a lease AND re-up (I am monthly now). So for 2 years it would cost me $420 or so which I would never see again AND I'd have to give the receiver back (I'm not including the $6 HD fee because it's present in both situations). Instead I payed $650 for the unit in-my-hands and it will cost another $1 a month. For the same period it will cost $674 BUT I will OWN the unit. The difference is $254 (give or take... taxes would change this). so basically if I can get $254 out of the unit after 2 years then there's no difference between lease/buy. If more, then I made the right choice by buying it.

then there's always the unquantifyable idea that I could leave DISH tomorrow if I wanted to... by buying it, I'm not locked into a contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.